12/31/17, 11:31 AM   #1
Octopuss

Addons vs performance and CPU speed

Has anyone recently upgraded to a faster CPU (ideally with more cores) and can talk about the impact it had on performance when using larger number of addons?
I understand the game is mostly CPU limited and it's especially true with addons.
Here's my situation: I use 60-70 addons (that's after I cut down absolutely everything I was willing to part with), and /reloadui takes around 25-30 seconds (MM alone is 8 seconds of that, ouch). I've gotten to the point of being majorly annoyed by this, especially since I found out it's just six seconds without any addons in a populated place like Mournhold marketplace.

What I'm trying to figure out is how much faster it could get with more powerful CPU.

Can anyone comment on this?
01/01/18, 01:22 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Changed my mainboard + CPU + RAM last year on January to a (at this time brand new model of Intel's i7 8 core) from an 5 year old Intel i7 quadcore.
The speed of game loading increased a little bit, the FPS ingame were higher as the CPU bottleneck was gone/got wider. So the FPS were my benefit and I'm happy with it.
Using about 30-50 addons depending on the day and mood.

But I always used an SSD and the speed of game loading will just decrease noticeably if you disable addons, especially that ones like MM that collect multiple thousand kbytes of data every time here and there.

So I don't think you can get a fast loading with abut 70 addons at all as the lua script lang and the CPU speed are limited by your harddrive's write (at reloadui etc.) and read speed.
Never put any further investigative time in it but I assume that the price of hardware is not worth the minimum changes of loading speed.
01/01/18, 02:40 PM   #3
Octopuss

I think - when were talking about MM specifically - it's not so much the reading/writing of data that takes so much time (maybe it's worse with classical HDDs, but I wouldn't know because I have NVMe SSD) and causing a delay, but rather the single "threadedness" of the game, and that data (it's tens of thousands of entries MM has saved up) simply cannot be processed quickly enough due to not enough CPU being available for the task.
Looking at eso64.exe in Process Explorer, there's just one thread that uses most of CPU time, so unfortunately it seems like not even the LUA system can run its own instance of sort

I really hope there will be Vulkan renderer coming in this year, because that would most probably solve all these problems. The way I understand it, the problem is DirectX11.

Last edited by Octopuss : 01/01/18 at 02:46 PM.
01/02/18, 01:02 AM   #4
sirinsidiator

I got a new pc very recently and load time has gone down quite noticeably from my 5 year old machine.

Loading a char takes around 21s excluding the request character load phase (seems to depend on the server), moving to a different zone ~6s-12s (depending on zone), moving between wayshrines in a zone is basically instant and reloading the UI takes 20 seconds.

Without MM the initial load goes down to 17s and UI reload to 12s.

This is with 100+ addons active on an i7-8700K.
01/02/18, 02:06 AM   #5
Tonyleila

I upgraded from i7 4700k to i7 8700k. Using 1080ti before and after on a 4k screen. The FPS diffrence in trails is 10-30 before and 30-60 after.
01/02/18, 03:01 AM   #6
Octopuss

I think the conclusion is only use MM on one trader character... heh.
01/02/18, 06:13 AM   #7
Octopuss

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
I got a new pc very recently and load time has gone down quite noticeably from my 5 year old machine.

Loading a char takes around 21s excluding the request character load phase (seems to depend on the server), moving to a different zone ~6s-12s (depending on zone), moving between wayshrines in a zone is basically instant and reloading the UI takes 20 seconds.

Without MM the initial load goes down to 17s and UI reload to 12s.

This is with 100+ addons active on an i7-8700K.
What CPU did you have before and what kind of loading times were you getting then?
01/02/18, 08:39 AM   #8
sirinsidiator

Originally Posted by Octopuss View Post
What CPU did you have before and what kind of loading times were you getting then?
i5-5500 and no idea about the exact times, but it was long enough for me to surf the internet while waiting. Guess more than half a minute.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Addons vs performance and CPU speed