02/25/16, 07:11 PM   #1
Benie
(Resolved) Cannot launch Minion (Windows 7 x64)

Hey. I'm having an issue trying to launch Minion. I never had an issue before with it. I tried to uninstall and reinstalled the current version (2.1.4 beta according to the website, which is the same version I had 6 months ago). I double clicked the executable and nothing happens. I also searched my entire computer and I'm not seeing any '.minion' anywhere. Tried creating it in C:\Users\Myname\, but all I get is "You must type a file name." It will not allow me to have a period there.

I'm using Windows 7 x64 (Home Premium). It's installed in a custom folder. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV. Current Java version is Java 8 Update 73.

Please assist. Thanks in advance.
EDIT: Issue is now resolved. Though I find it a bit rather annoying and awkward to launch the game via a batch file (not to mention, it takes 30 seconds to a minute to fully load up) instead of using the main executable (which makes a lot more sense), it still works. And I am happy for that.

Last edited by Benie : 03/08/16 at 10:12 AM.
02/25/16, 08:29 PM   #2
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I double clicked the executable and nothing happens.
So you are unable to even install Minion now? What happens if you right click it and choose to run as admin?

Sounds like something is preventing the application from running. If you open up MSE does it show anything being blocked under the History tab?
02/26/16, 01:02 AM   #3
Benie
Ok, I should had been more clear. It's not the fact I can't install Minion. I got it installed, it just won't run.
Also, I never had MSE block it before, so why would it happen now? This is the same version I had 5 months ago. Though I'm now using Java 8 instead of Java 7 (and I have no way of downgrading).

But I'll look into MSE and see if Minion is being blocked in the morning.
EDIT: Alright. It's the morning. I checked, and MSE isn't blocking anything. Any other advice to fix this problem will be welcomed.

Last edited by Benie : 02/26/16 at 12:00 PM.
02/27/16, 11:53 PM   #4
Benie
Sorry, but I'm still in need of assistance.
02/28/16, 07:13 PM   #5
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Minion is packaged with its own Java that it runs internally in a little virtual machine it sets up. Can you fully uninstall Java and try running Minion? Maybe there is some type of conflict on your system with the java you have installed and the Java Minion has installed.

If that doesn't work or you can try this first to see if you can at least get an error...
With the latest version of java installed on your computer you can try and run it manually. Open a command prompt and if Minion is installed in its default location try running this command and see what error you get:

java -jar C:\Users\<your windows username>\AppData\Local\Minion\app\Minion-jfx.jar

The above will try and get Minion to run on the locally installed version of Java instead of the version of Java Minion comes packaged with.
02/28/16, 07:28 PM   #6
Benie
I tried running Minion through the command prompt, and that got it loaded and working. But am I going to have to keep doing this when I need to use it?
02/29/16, 07:01 AM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just build yourself a .txt file on your desktop and write the above mentioned string into it (replace <your windows username> with your username!):

Code:
java -jar C:\Users\<your windows username>\AppData\Local\Minion\app\Minion-jfx.jar
Aftwerwards save the file and rename it from .txt to .bat

You are able to right click this batch .bat file and choose the properties. Assign a symbol for it, like the one from the Minion .exe file.
you are able to double click this .bat file then to start Minion.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Cannot launch Minion (doesn't do anything)