05/19/15, 02:39 PM   #1
hushpuppy247
Multiple ComboBoxes using the same entries/info

I'm new to the world of addons and LUA/XML, and am looking for some insight regarding comboboxes. I want to use multiple comboboxes with the same entries, but I'm a bit confused as to how I should proceed. I can setup, display, and populate a combobox using (essentially) the code found in this thread: http://www.esoui.com/forums/showpost...6&postcount=27. However, I don't think I want to repopulate a new combobox with the same info 8 times over (doesn't seem like good practice?).

I'm currently using XML to create a "base" combobox, then populating it via LUA code.

XML:

Code:
<Control name="myDropdown" inherits="ZO_ComboBox" virtual="true">
        <OnInitialized>
		ZO_ComboBox:New(self)
	</OnInitialized>
</Control>
LUA:

Code:
  local headArmorType = CreateControlFromVirtual("headArmorDropdown", MyWindow, "myDropdown")
  headArmorType:SetDimensions(150, 30)
  headArmorType:SetAnchor(TOPLEFT, MyWindow, TOPLEFT, 60, 120)
  local choices = {"Light", "Medium", "Heavy"}
  local dropdown = ZO_ComboBox_ObjectFromContainer(headArmorDropdown)
  dropdown:SetSelectedItem("Armor Type")
  dropdown:SetSortsItems(false)
  local function OnItemSelect(_, choiceText, choice)
	 headArmorType = choiceText --I set the choice to a string variable in order to put it in a mail message
  end	
  for i=1,#choices do
		local entry = dropdown:CreateItemEntry(choices[i], OnItemSelect)
		dropdown:AddItem(entry)
  end
Would I want to create and populate a combobox with those entries (light, medium, heavy) in XML, then create instances of them in LUA? If that's the case, how would I build the table of choices in XML? (Or would I want to create a global variable or function in the LUA script, then reference/call it in the XML file in 'OnInitialized')?
05/20/15, 10:18 PM   #2
Sasky
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
One option for if you want a label with each combobox would be to use LibAddonMenu's dropdown control. It's fairly compact in the creation and would just need setting the anchor and dimension afterwords.

I don't think there's a way around registering the items for each dropdown. However, it would still be fairly clean if you did a general function for the create then called that for each of the dropdowns you create.
05/21/15, 09:27 AM   #3
Argusus
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I would make it work first using most reusable method like a common function and xml as you mentioned..

Premature optimization is the root of all evil :-)
05/21/15, 02:42 PM   #4
hushpuppy247
Thanks for the replies! So what I did was create a function in the lua file that builds/propagates the combobox (using the original code posted), then called it in XML under 'OnInitialized'. I then create the combobox in lua and set its anchor and dimensions. Works exactly as intended.

I did run into a problem with setting the choice text for each separate combobox (in the original code, I have the string set in the callback function 'OnItemSelect'). I ditched that method and instead wrote a function that sets the global strings to the ComboBox items/choices. This is then called after the user clicks a button ('aArmorType' is the string variable, 'aArmor' is the name of the combobox):

Code:
function myAddon:GetChoices()

aArmorType = aArmorSelectedItemText:GetText()
	bArmorType = bArmorSelectedItemText:GetText()
	 --etc..

end

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Multiple ComboBoxes using the same entries/info