11/27/23, 03:49 PM   #1
michael_evg

Smile Replacing all glossy progress bar textures with DarkUI's texture

Basically, I want to get rid of the glossy look of the attribute bars and using a more flat texture to make it more readable.

I want the same texture to be applied to all bars, like skill progress, experience bar and so on for a more consistent look, like DarkUI does. But, I don't want all the other changes that DarkUI does cause I like the original UI art style (shock, I know).

I have 0 experience in programming or graphic design
11/27/23, 03:59 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If DarkUI already does what you want, but too much:
Ask the author of DarkUI if adding an option to only change the textures of the bars would be possible.

Else someone would have to copy the addon and the textures (if this allowed -> licensing etc. If not one needs to recraete the texture files similar and recode the code from scratch...) and do everything again.
11/28/23, 03:22 AM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info3758-FlatUI.html
by Dakjaniels
11/28/23, 03:49 AM   #4
michael_evg

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
If DarkUI already does what you want, but too much:
Ask the author of DarkUI if adding an option to only change the textures of the bars would be possible.

Else someone would have to copy the addon and the textures (if this allowed -> licensing etc. If not one needs to recraete the texture files similar and recode the code from scratch...) and do everything again.
The original author is long gone and the person who maintains it only makes sure its functional. But I will check this FlatUI that just came out. Thanks, mate
11/30/23, 12:14 AM   #5
michael_evg

Originally Posted by Sharlikran View Post
Just a note though. If you redirect texture bar_whatever_left_blue, texture bar_whatever_left_green, texture bar_whatever_left_red to use a specific texture you cannot tell the game to only do that for the status bars. Meaning if bar_whatever_left_blue is used in 100 places then the game can not be told to use the new texture in only 3 places because the syntax is old_texture = new_texture.

To change only the bars you would have to alter the game's XML so it uses MY_bar_whatever_left_blue, MY_texture bar_whatever_left_green, MY_texture bar_whatever_left_red. Then only those bars would be affected.
I have no idea how to do that, but I will try to slowly learn how to make an add-on like that cause I realized recently that I love designing UI. I just don't know where to start.
11/30/23, 05:13 AM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
https://www.esoui.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=172
-> Check teh sticky thread at the top: "New to AddOn creation? - Usefull links and information"

Have a look at the ESOUI Wiki for tutorials about how to create a simple addon.

If you understand more you can have a look at the addon "FlatUI" to see how things were done.
I bet it uses the API function RedirectTexture to exchange texture files (ending on .dds) of the game with custom ones.

And then try your own
Good luck and especially much fun!
12/11/23, 07:49 AM   #7
michael_evg

I noticed that FlatUI is not covering the bars in the character panel. The author says its limitation but DarkUI does cover it. How?
12/11/23, 08:29 AM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
By doing more coding and things than others do (more work) most probably, or by replacing them "in general -> ESO wide" I'd assume.
12/12/23, 04:09 AM   #9
michael_evg

By doing more coding and things than others do (more work) most probably, or by replacing them "in general -> ESO wide" I'd assume.
That sounds way beyond my understanding...
12/12/23, 08:03 AM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by michael_evg View Post
That sounds way beyond my understanding...
Yeah well how should we answer things that you ask that other authors, who did the job and should know best, already answered and you did neither understand
Sometimes you just need to accept it, or read the code and find out what the differences are and what exactly was meant to be the reason.

This should not sound rude, it's just how it is. HArd to explain technical dependencies and code if you do not speak that language (which is very ESO specific here).
12/15/23, 01:47 PM   #11
michael_evg

Yeah well how should we answer things that you ask that other authors, who did the job and should know best, already answered and you did neither understand
Sometimes you just need to accept it, or read the code and find out what the differences are and what exactly was meant to be the reason.

This should not sound rude, it's just how it is. HArd to explain technical dependencies and code if you do not speak that language (which is very ESO specific here).
Not offended, you were trying to explain, however hard or better impossible, to a complete novice. Thanks, mate and keep up the great work.

You guys create some really useful add-ons and share it with everyone. That, to me is extremely commendable
12/15/23, 01:57 PM   #12
michael_evg

Originally Posted by Sharlikran View Post
I don't mind adding a way to only change the bars, I just don't want to edit the xml file to only change the three of them and nothing else. So that's why I mentioned that.

EDIT: I added the toggle but the border of the bars isn't changed just the bars texture. Is that enough?
I installed DarkUI again but I can't see a toggle option

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Replacing all glossy progress bar textures with DarkUI's texture