02/16/14, 09:36 AM   #1
Norefunds

Crafting for noobs

Hi, i didnt test the crafting system during betas and i guess im not the only one,so i 'd like to know if its better to start leveling the crafting skills that we will probably need during end game as soon as possible since i heard its really time consuming or if you can wait to be at higher level to start crafting. Any other pro-tip for crafting newbies is greatly appreciated,thanks
02/16/14, 09:44 AM   #2
Swarog

I'm planing to start crafting at high levels (may be at 50). There are a lot of quest items that's enough for first time.
02/16/14, 09:57 AM   #3
madangrypally
It will be cheaper and better to wait until you are level 50. You will earn a ton of experience through extracting items and will likely gain enough levels that a few tiers of ore/wood/cloth can be bypassed all together.

That being said I will not be following my own advice. lol. I would recommend finding a crafter ever 5-10 levels and doing a complete gear overhaul. Will make leveling that much easier.
02/16/14, 10:36 AM   #4
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm planning on crafting from the get go with each character concentrating on 1 or 2 skills and all of them gathering ( which is what I liked about ESO) with the one concentrating on it using a point or 2 to boost their gathering skill for it.

I decided that as soon as I heard the game was coming out. During the beta weekends I was doing that and got to level 9 in a few of the paths. Without even trying I was finding most of the items needed for crafting by just wandering around exploring and completing quests and soon were filling my bags full of stuff so every so often went back to town to refine and craft the odd item or two.
02/16/14, 10:43 AM   #5
Swissy
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
I'm planning on crafting from the get go with each character concentrating on 1 or 2 skills and all of them gathering ( which is what I liked about ESO) with the one concentrating on it using a point or 2 to boost their gathering skill for it.

I decided that as soon as I heard the game was coming out. During the beta weekends I was doing that and got to level 9 in a few of the paths. Without even trying I was finding most of the items needed for crafting by just wandering around exploring and completing quests and soon were filling my bags full of stuff so every so often went back to town to refine and craft the odd item or two.
In other words you gain much experience XP from crafting?
02/16/14, 11:09 AM   #6
TopfliteB

Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
In other words you gain much experience XP from crafting?
Actually you don't gain any "experience" while crafting, as in XP towards your character level. You gain "inspiration" towards a higher crafting level, but again that doesn't affect your overall level.

I do believe though that leveling via crafting IS a viable option later on in the Veteran Rank system, though I'm not 100% sure on that
02/16/14, 11:32 AM   #7
Swissy
Originally Posted by TopfliteB View Post
Actually you don't gain any "experience" while crafting, as in XP towards your character level. You gain "inspiration" towards a higher crafting level, but again that doesn't affect your overall level.

I do believe though that leveling via crafting IS a viable option later on in the Veteran Rank system, though I'm not 100% sure on that
got it thx!^^
02/16/14, 11:39 AM   #8
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
It's not for levelling purposes but rather game play purposes. I enjoy that side of the game as much if not more than the combat side of the game.

edit: actually, not for xp purposes but levelling the crafting side of things, as the levels climb you can get bonuses for it which will help you gather resources and improve what you make.

Last edited by Xrystal : 02/16/14 at 12:23 PM.
02/17/14, 03:13 AM   #9
zork

Here are my 2 cents from my beta test. Do not sell any green loot ever. Destroy those items at the crafting station and put the loot in your bank.

Though...Zenimax wrote that they want to simplify the crafting system. Thus I'm not sure if that is still viable.
02/17/14, 01:09 PM   #10
ElChristo

Originally Posted by zork View Post
Here are my 2 cents from my beta test. Do not sell any green loot ever. Destroy those items at the crafting station and put the loot in your bank.

Though...Zenimax wrote that they want to simplify the crafting system. Thus I'm not sure if that is still viable.
This is a good tip. I rarely sold anything to the vendor. Just the items that say 'Sell to Vendor' in the item description.

I will be crafting as I level. Creating my own items hopefully. And from my experience in the betas, after about level 10, I always had spare skill points. So I will be putting them into the crafting professions most likely.
02/17/14, 01:48 PM   #11
Relampago
Crafting alts

I will actually go down the crafting alt path. My main will only spend crafting points on the find resources skills as skill points are a tight commodity early on. The crafting alts will serve as storage, breakdown, and creation with all of their skill points devoted to crafting. I will pivot this at higher levels when skill points are less scarce.
02/17/14, 03:46 PM   #12
DROG VOKUN

Originally Posted by zork View Post
They better not....it's the best system I've seen in a game...screw making it dumbed down.
02/18/14, 07:47 AM   #13
ablueman
Originally Posted by DROG VOKUN View Post
They better not....it's the best system I've seen in a game...screw making it dumbed down.
Get the first tier bank expansion and backpack expansion as early on as possible to. They arn't that expensive and they will help a lot with all the gear you collect and carry. Look for where the bank is on the map, you can buy both from the NPC there normally.
02/18/14, 08:27 AM   #14
Ark

I heard two cool things I didn't try...but if they are true....

1) You can craft from ur bank.
So, u can just send all ur mats to the bank, and use them as if they are in the bag.

2) The bank is account-wide.
So, u can farm/craft with an alter, then use the products on the main.

If this is correct (please, correct me if it isn't), I think the best way to squeeze the crafting is to have an alter only for crafting, and invest the skill points on crafting.
Crafting didn't have any good passive for a main (maybe the "every 2h free mats" one), and those skill points could be used somewhere.
I think the crafting passives are really good for crafting purposes. The extraction ones and the expertises are MUST if u really want to craft.
...so, prepare to level an alt soon

BTW, do you know if there'll be a AH or like that?
I saw the guild shop, but didn't have the opportunity to try it. Its like some kind of shop where u can post items and ur guildmates will be able to buy them?
02/18/14, 09:45 AM   #15
Abardomas1

Unhappy

Originally Posted by DROG VOKUN View Post
Exactly! This is definitely a concern I've had
02/18/14, 09:49 AM   #16
Abardomas1

Originally Posted by Swarog View Post
I'm planing to start crafting at high levels (may be at 50). There are a lot of quest items that's enough for first time.
Start crafting at 50? Why?
02/18/14, 10:19 AM   #17
madangrypally
Originally Posted by Abardomas1 View Post
Start crafting at 50? Why?
Unless they change it Extracting is worth so much IP (experience) that a level 50 can extract level 50 gear and power level very very fast. I hope it changes because crafting otherwise will become worthless.
02/18/14, 10:31 AM   #18
Abardomas1

Talking

Originally Posted by madangrypally View Post
It will be cheaper and better to wait until you are level 50. You will earn a ton of experience through extracting items and will likely gain enough levels that a few tiers of ore/wood/cloth can be bypassed all together.

That being said I will not be following my own advice. lol. I would recommend finding a crafter ever 5-10 levels and doing a complete gear overhaul. Will make leveling that much easier.
LOL That's too funny.

Yes, that's a much better idea. I was thinking around level 10
02/19/14, 11:47 AM   #19
Holylifton

Originally Posted by madangrypally View Post

Agreed. This game differs from other MMO's I played in that you really can't count on mob drops and rewards to keep your gear current. I did that in one beta and by the time I was at lvl 8, I still had some lvl 1 & 2 pieces of gear.

If you want to keep your gear current, you either need to craft it yourself, have someone craft it for you or buy it.... I love this because it keeps the economy relevant crafting is actually a useful endeavour.
02/19/14, 03:04 PM   #20
fishyyy
Hmm let me contribute my thoughts here

Just to clarify: Yes you can just put something in your bank account from everey of you 8(!!!) characters and withdraw it with every of those 8.

Now as awesome as that is that you will recieve the messages from every char on every account.
Here comes the trick: Ever thought about investing one point into the Hireling passive? ON EACH CHAR?
LOL I just hope zenimax does not punish those exploiting this mechanics

Now concerning skillpoint investment to craftig skills: I will just focus on two ways and I am still confident that there will be enough skill points to make my favourite build

ESOUI » General Discussion » Gameplay » Crafting for noobs