10/05/17, 12:51 PM   #1
ObjectMetadata

Check if control exists

Hi guys,
I'm trying to check whether a (virtual) control exists before I create it. This is the XML Code
Code:
<Label name="QuestLabel" virtual="true" font="ZoFontAnnounceMedium" text="">
	<Anchor point="BOTTOMLEFT" relativeTo="$(parent)WindowTitle" relativePoint="BOTTOMLEFT" offsetX="50" offsetY="100" />
</Label>
And this is the lua code to create the control. This function gets called multiple times so I included code to check if the control already exists but it's not working

Lua Code:
  1. function TestAddon:CreateQuestLabel(questID, labelName, containingControl, yOffset)
  2.     local label = containingControl:GetNamedChild(labelName) --containingControl would be $(parent)
  3.     if label == nil then
  4.         label = CreateControlFromVirtual(labelName, containingControl, "QuestLabel")
  5.         --Fails here "Failed to create Control "QuestLabel1". Duplicate Name
  6.     end
  7.     label:SetText(questID .. " - " .. TestAddon:GetQuestName(questID))
  8.     label:SetAnchor(BOTTOMLEFT, TestAddonGridWindowTitle, BOTTOMLEFT, 50, yOffset)
  9.     return label
  10. end

Does anyone know why this does not work? Thanks!
10/05/17, 01:18 PM   #2
Dolgubon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ObjectMetadata View Post
Hi guys,
I'm trying to check whether a (virtual) control exists before I create it. This is the XML Code
Code:
<Label name="QuestLabel" virtual="true" font="ZoFontAnnounceMedium" text="">
    <Anchor point="BOTTOMLEFT" relativeTo="$(parent)WindowTitle" relativePoint="BOTTOMLEFT" offsetX="50" offsetY="100" />
</Label>
And this is the lua code to create the control. This function gets called multiple times so I included code to check if the control already exists but it's not working
So, what I think is happening is that you're calling TestAddon:CreateQuestLabel two or more times, as follows:
TestAddon:CreateQuestLabel(questId, 'QuestLabel1', someControl, yOffset)
TestAddon:CreateQuestLabel(questId, 'QuestLabel1', anotherControl, yOffset)

So what happens is that the first time, the function creates a child of someControl, and the child has the name QuestLabel1. This is a global name. So now, this label exists. Next, you call the createQuestLabel function again. But for some reason, QuestLabel1 is passed as a labelName again. QuestLabel1 however, is a child of someControl, and not anotherControl. So of course, when you try to get the named child of anotherControl that's named QuestLabel1, it won't exist, because it's not a child of anotherControl. It's a child of someControl. So now label is nil, and it passes the first if statement. But when you try to create a virtual control with the name of QuestLabel1, it already exists, and that's where you get your error. Here's what I'd suggest. Add labelName = containingControl:GetName()..labelName and use that as the label name instead.

Last edited by Dolgubon : 10/05/17 at 01:21 PM.
10/05/17, 01:33 PM   #3
ObjectMetadata

Hi Dolgubon, thanks for your reply!
I checked what you said but the parameter "containingControl" is passed as a hard reference, so it should definitely be the same both times.

This is the function I use to call the "CreateQuestLabel" function:

Lua Code:
  1. function TestAddon:AddQuestsToGrid()
  2.     local noOfQuests = GetNumJournalQuests()
  3.     local yOffset = 50
  4.     for i = 1, noOfQuests do
  5.         local labelName = "QuestLabel" .. i
  6.         local checkboxName = "QuestCheckBox" .. i
  7.         local label = self:CreateQuestLabel(i, labelName, TestAddonGrid, yOffset)
  8.             --TestAddonGrid is the TopLevelControl in the .xml file
  9.         local checkbox = self:CreateQuestCheckBox(i, checkboxName, TestAddonGrid, label)
  10.         yOffset = yOffset + 50
  11.     end
  12. end

XML-Code:
Code:
<GuiXml>
	<Controls>
		<TopLevelControl name="TestAddonGrid" mouseEnabled="true" movable="false" clampedToScreen="true" hidden="true">
			<Controls>
				<some controls />
			</Controls>
		</TopLevelControl>
	</Controls>
</GuiXml>
The AddQuestsToGrid function gets called by a slash command.
type slash command for the first time -> everything workes as intended since the controls don't yet exist
type slash command for the 2nd time -> Duplicate error

Could this be caused by some weird object instance behaviour? Like that the object "TestAddonGrid" is not the same instance the second time as the first time?
10/05/17, 02:10 PM   #4
sirinsidiator

I believe your problem is because GetNamedChild only returns controls that are prefixed with the parent name. When creating a control you can write "$(parent)<myname>" and it will automatically prefix it with the parent control's name. Then it should work.

But for this kind of problem you should use an ZO_ObjectPool anyways. It takes care of creating and managing your virtual controls.
10/05/17, 02:41 PM   #5
Dolgubon

ZO_ObjectPool? What is that?
10/05/17, 02:50 PM   #6
sirinsidiator

I'm shocked you do not know that. :O
Read this: http://wiki.esoui.com/SimpleNotebookTutorial/part7

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Check if control exists