10/17/14, 11:22 AM   #1
dopiate
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
New Add-on to Compliment an existing one but..

Ok, I have written to the developer of ShopKeeper and I have written to Cairenn and she didn't reply. Maybe they are both away on Vacation?

I have written a .net application that runs independent of the game but it's data source is the Shopkeeper.lua in saved variables.

I had a few questions before I submit it for approval.

First, as a courtesy I wanted to talk to the author of ShopKeeper because 1) I am utilizing his data 2) I made some recommendations (in my text file) for settings in his program to make mine more useful (how many sales to keep etc) 3) I thought that the right thing to do would be to get his OK.

Now, I know at least one executable that was approved and posted here for download. I am SURE the exe approval process is different . I'm trying to find out what I need to submit? The full project un-compiled? Whatever it is I'll do it - this is just for ESO and Shopkeeper. It wont even run if ESO isnt installed.

I'm using it now in my 2nd monitor to check prices, trends, it has a calculator you can pull right up. It basically organizes all of your previous sales and presents it to you in an easy, organized way so you can see what guild it's selling more in, how your prices have been doing (going up or down) ... stuff like that.

But it's outside the game - so I don't have to move GuildStoreSearchEx and the Guild Store Interface all around to check all my previous sales in the ESO game window.

Any guidance would be welcome as would any beta testers. My friends are using it with no issues. It's not done but the core is there. It's harmless. It only reads 1 lua file and gives you the opportunity to export the memory to .csv in case there are any Excel pros who want to make pivot tables or whatever.

just fyi - this came about because Shopkeeper.lua saved variables does NOT only keep your sales -- and I wanted just my sales - sorted organized and compared.

-d

edit: just talked to Khaibit in PM - he's very cool and is going to try and work something out with me as he's making some major improvements in Shopkeeper! Going to be sweet!

Last edited by dopiate : 10/17/14 at 11:37 AM. Reason: just spoke with Khaibit in PM
10/17/14, 12:01 PM   #2
Randactyl
From what I remember about ESOLauncher being removed here, the site team decompiles any executable program submitted for approval and checks it over. ESOLauncher was not approved because the developer used an obfuscated, personal library and did not want to submit the source code for it even though it would only be used for verification of the program's safety and not distributed as part of the download.

I would think if you submitted the source code as well the approval process would be pretty quick, and as long as the program only does what you say it does it should be approved no problem

Glad to see Khaibit is going to work with you
10/17/14, 12:05 PM   #3
dopiate
I don't know anything about ESO Launcher

I was talking about that one that runs in your systray and protects your addon's and saved variables.

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info712-ESOSafe.html

thats why I figure it would probably get approved once all the source is open and available.

Yea Khaibit and I are going back and forth - what a great dude.

-d
10/17/14, 12:14 PM   #4
dopiate
demo - link just up for 10 mins

{gone}

just for the curious - I'll kill the link in a few minutes

run it - hit read data - play :-)

columns are sort-able too

edit: I removed the link because 1) it's still a work in progress 2) not sure how kosher that is on the forums 3) because I said I was going to

if you did download it and had any feedback just pm me

thanks,
-d

Last edited by dopiate : 10/17/14 at 01:04 PM. Reason: removing link
10/17/14, 12:38 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hi dopiate,

Sorry for the delay in answering you. Just a case of bad timing.

Randactyl has it pretty much exactly correct. We will look at what it is that your file is intended to accomplish and as long as it is legit, is appropriate (ie it is actually something related to addons and eso), and it can't be accomplished without an .exe it'll pass on that count. We will then require you to provide us with your source code to verify that it is safe. We won't release your source code for download by others unless you explicitly give us permission to do so (we believe in protecting copyright). If you won't let us see your source code, however, then there is no way in which we'll allow it on the site (the reason we refused to allow ESOLauncer on the site). This is for everyone's protection, your own included.
10/17/14, 12:50 PM   #6
dopiate
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Hi dopiate,

Sorry for the delay in answering you. Just a case of bad timing.

Randactyl has it pretty much exactly correct. We will look at what it is that your file is intended to accomplish and as long as it is legit, is appropriate (ie it is actually something related to addons and eso), and it can't be accomplished without an .exe it'll pass on that count. We will then require you to provide us with your source code to verify that it is safe. We won't release your source code for download by others unless you explicitly give us permission to do so (we believe in protecting copyright). If you won't let us see your source code, however, then there is no way in which we'll allow it on the site (the reason we refused to allow ESOLauncer on the site). This is for everyone's protection, your own included.
Hey Cairenn!!

Good to talk to you again.

I think my program will meet all the requirements np plus Khaibit and I are working together so I can maybe help him preserve old user data that might be lost when he releases his new version and he's working with me to make it easier for me to get just the users sales.

I put my demo up as a link - is that against TOS? if so I'll take it down now. it's beyond harmless, all I'm trying to do is make it easier to see what guild and how much per unit a sale should be. Plus being separate from the ESO game window it's never in the way. I use already, keep it open in my 2nd window - just added the "type-ahead" feature today.

When Khaibit and I are on the same page I will submit my program, full open vb project file, source and folders - I have no problem with that at all. Just no one gets to comment on how sloppy I program!

-d
10/17/14, 01:29 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Sounds good. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
10/17/14, 04:06 PM   #8
dopiate
pm if you want to demo/test

Shopkeeper is undergoing some big changes but if you would be interested in testing the current program as is and give me feedback just PM me.

The functionality for my program "Shopkeeper Assistant" will stay the same but I may have to update some code depending on the changes.

-d

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » New Add-on to Compliment an existing one but..