09/03/14, 09:09 AM   #1
DarthFett11

New PC options

Hey all. I tried to do a search but couldn't find anything so here I am.
My current rig is getting old and I'm wanting to build a new pc.

I have heard that some people are having problems with high end machines and graphic cards so I was wondering if there are any suggestions on what kind of stuffs to get.

I really only use this pc for ESO, school and occasionally downloading stuff and I want to be able to play ESO with max settings and have it look really nice.

Any ideas would be great.
09/03/14, 08:21 PM   #2
DarthFett11

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm planning on getting a nice case with at least 2 fans, so after everything is in I'll have nice air flow, so heat won't be an issue (ideally).

I didn't know about the rpms. I'll be keeping that in mind when I'm looking around.

I've been out of the pc building business for quite a few years now and it seems like Newegg are the same as everyone else now (I use to buy from them because they were always better quality and normally less expensive). Any ideas if they are still good?

To kind of give you an idea, I for sure want to get 1 drive for storage and another for running the OS.
Probably going to dual screen it but may go 3 in the future so I might go with 2 graphics cards just in case.

Again, I appreciate the response.
09/26/14, 02:23 AM   #3
BornDownUnder
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by DarthFett11 View Post
Hey all. I tried to do a search but couldn't find anything so here I am.
My current rig is getting old and I'm wanting to build a new pc.

I have heard that some people are having problems with high end machines and graphic cards so I was wondering if there are any suggestions on what kind of stuffs to get.

I really only use this pc for ESO, school and occasionally downloading stuff and I want to be able to play ESO with max settings and have it look really nice.

Any ideas would be great.
Sorry if this reply is deemed resurrecting the thread, I only just noticed it now.

There are a couple of quite important questions which really need to be answered:

How much are you wanting to spend?
What other games (if any) do you play?

ESO like just about all other mmo's past and present are almost completely dependent on cpu speed, which sadly AMD fall behind a bit when it comes to per-core performance. AMD are cheaper by a bit though to be quite fair.

https://pcpartpicker.com/ is a good site to look at and fine tune your parts list to your needs and budget. Unfortunately you will have to highlight text and right-click to google search the parts for reviews.

Here is a budget-based parts list whipped up, and a performance-driven parts list for second link to give you an idea:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/BornDownUnder/saved/ZYtLrH
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/BornDownUnder/saved/zDkfrH
09/26/14, 03:54 AM   #4
QuadroTony
Banned
ESO with max settings and have it look really nice.
mandatory:
http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrolls...weetfx_preset/
09/26/14, 05:12 AM   #5
DarthFett11

Originally Posted by BornDownUnder View Post
There are a couple of quite important questions which really need to be answered:

How much are you wanting to spend?
What other games (if any) do you play?

ESO like just about all other mmo's past and present are almost completely dependent on cpu speed, which sadly AMD fall behind a bit when it comes to per-core performance. AMD are cheaper by a bit though to be quite fair.
I'd like to keep it between 500 and 1000. Of course the less money I have to spend the better.

I actually don't play any games on my pc at the moment other than ESO.
I pretty much use it for my online classes, playing ESO, watching movies and tv shows that i've downloaded (legally of course ) and watching Netflix sometimes.

I'll check out the links you provided.
I was mainly just worried about getting high end parts and then not having the game work correctly. Like I wrote earlier I had heard that some people were having issues with ESO working with Gforce and Nvidia high end cards but I wasn't sure if those were isolated issues or not.
09/30/14, 04:49 AM   #6
BornDownUnder
Originally Posted by QuadroTony View Post
SweetFX is amazing, nothing beats it in my opinion, I run it with every game.

Actual SweetFX home, where you will find many many other presets for many games:
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/
Shameless plug for my custom SweetFX profile:
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/2094/

I'd like to keep it between 500 and 1000. Of course the less money I have to spend the better.

I actually don't play any games on my pc at the moment other than ESO.
I pretty much use it for my online classes, playing ESO, watching movies and tv shows that i've downloaded (legally of course ) and watching Netflix sometimes.

I'll check out the links you provided.
I was mainly just worried about getting high end parts and then not having the game work correctly. Like I wrote earlier I had heard that some people were having issues with ESO working with Gforce and Nvidia high end cards but I wasn't sure if those were isolated issues or not.
In regards to the budget build I linked, try getting a 'k' version if going for Intel, that way if down the track you want to increase performance you have the ability to overclock the cpu without affecting other integrated components, which you do when overclocking by BCLK. It will also give you much more headroom to overclock for more performance.

Often issues are very individual, you will not likely ever find two machines with the exact same parts setup having the same performance, some won't even run a particular application or will have performance issues for some unknown reason while the other is perfectly fine.

In terms of getting high-end parts, you get what you pay for in the computer world, just like in any other industry. You are far better off 'future-proofing' by buying high-end equipment than buying to 'for the day' and the higher-end components is often alot more reliable as they use higher quality parts. Basically put think of buying a car, just in parts

Here is a couple of links from www.pcpartspicker.com for amd builds:

Budget: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CfYnXL
High-End: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mfYnXL

As you can see, overall cost is very similar for both ends of the scale, regardless of amd or nvidia, unless you go for the extreme edition Intel Chipsets, which are not worth it at all.

Best advice anybody can give is do your homework, not just for your classes
Read plenty of reviews, copy/paste of hardware model names will provide a plethora of links, read a number of them as the reviewers can be quite biased sometimes on certain sites.

Last edited by BornDownUnder : 09/30/14 at 04:54 AM.
10/03/14, 03:20 PM   #7
Sasky
When I built my current system 2yrs ago, I used Tom's Hardware for quite a bit of the baseline info. They run roughly quarterly features where they put together 3 complete systems at different price points (varies, but last one was ~$500, ~$1200, and ~$1600.) They then have an overwhelming amount of benchmarks on the three systems from several of the popular gaming titles, and give you a decent idea of what extra you get for your dollar.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Tech Chat » New PC options