03/04/15, 05:17 AM   #1
merlight
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just a silly patch day morning rant...

Morning. Don't read this unless you're into scripting and have nothing better to do. I'm stuck and need to write down what I did, while waiting for Update 6 to download.

Topic is Auto-updating add-ons. Because today my crafted update script stopped working.

What it did was take a list of download links (like http://www.esoui.com/downloads/download7-LibAddonMenu), do a HEAD request, which would return "302 Found" with a Location header leading to http://cdn.esoui.com/. The Location contained the latest version's timestamp, so I could easily skip re-downloading files I already had. But the old download link doesn't return 302 anymore, it's now an actual page that automatically starts the download from CDN. I spent half an hour investigating headers, trying to find another way to get the timestamp given the add-on ID... and only then noticed the download link on add-on page is a little different now: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/dl7/LibAddonMenu... and this one returns 302.

So my script works again. Why am I writing this then? There's a small issue I've been aware of for quite some time, yet it didn't deserve a topic of its own. Every time I send the initial request, e.g. HEAD /downloads/dl7/ , the file's download counter goes up. Downloads are counted on the redirect, not on the CDN.

Second topic is Minion. Because before I proceeded to fix my script, I though I might just install Minion. On Linux/Wine, that is

~160MB... um... ok... Stupidly enough, I started with the wrong installer. It doesn't check what system you install it on - it successfully completes installing 64bit Minion on 32bit system. "It won't run here" warning would be nice. Another weirdness - in requirements listed on the web is VC++2010 runtime, and it says Minion will prompt to install it. Why not the installer?

On the second try I got the correct 32bit installer. However, that didn't get me much further. Minion crashes right away (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in [iphlpapi.dll+0xc010]). Going through the crash log, I see... wait what? Direct3D?! Why the... even if it doesn't crash on that (and I presume it doesn't, it crashed in the same way before and after I installed d3d), who wants 3D graphics in an add-on manager? That was when I went back to my 50-line script

Third topic is Unlikely. Because it's extremely unlikely someone reads this, has working Minion and knows how to use Wireshark. Could you imaginary friend please take a look at Minion's communication and see how it gets the list of add-ons with version timestamps? So that I don't have to bump all download counters every time I check for updates. Thanks.
03/04/15, 07:04 AM   #2
Ayantir

I do know Wireshark a lot and use Minion, but you also got a debug quite verbose in ~/.minion
I just looked at it, not real good info here.
refresh the page!

PS : My apologizes for your IT problems.. Life sucks !
PPS: Don't look at process manager for minion, you'll get an heartbreak

PPPS:[removed, just PM Dolby if you want endpoints. just dont want google to index]

Last edited by Dolby : 03/04/15 at 02:18 PM. Reason: removed enpoint url
03/04/15, 08:40 AM   #3
merlight
Awesome, thanks! I guess that API is private/undocumented, hm?
03/04/15, 02:17 PM   #4
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by merlight View Post
~160MB... um... ok... Stupidly enough, I started with the wrong installer. It doesn't check what system you install it on - it successfully completes installing 64bit Minion on 32bit system. "It won't run here" warning would be nice. Another weirdness - in requirements listed on the web is VC++2010 runtime, and it says Minion will prompt to install it. Why not the installer?
Minion runs inside a JVM so we have to include the JRE which is the bulk of the download, Minion it self is under 1mb. The VC++ requirement is no longer valid since the last few updates and we need to update the website.

You can run Minion natively on linux. Just run the jar from command line ( java -jar Minion-jfx.jar ). It will require that you have Oracle's JRE8 installed. The first time you run Minion depending on the flavor of linux you may need to give it sudo powers so it wont choke on the drive scanning for games.

Attached is a screeenshot of me running it on Elementary OS (Ubuntu fork that looks like OSX).
This is a jar/lib only download to make it easier: http://cdn.mmoui.com/minion/Minion2.1.3pl1-beta.zip

I'm guessing the directX issue was due to you running a JVM inside Wine, I can only guess how confused the JVM got. I am working on a couple dev environments so I can compile and release .deb and .rpm's of Minion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 6.40.43 PM.png
Views:	558
Size:	665.2 KB
ID:	562  

Last edited by Dolby : 03/04/15 at 02:34 PM.
03/04/15, 03:03 PM   #5
merlight
Lol now I feel stupid for not even trying I started off this post http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=linux where the guy said he had to run it in Wine to generate the config, so I took that as a given and didn't even try opening the jar :/
03/04/15, 04:00 PM   #6
merlight
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
You can run Minion natively on linux. Just run the jar from command line ( java -jar Minion-jfx.jar ). It will require that you have Oracle's JRE8 installed. The first time you run Minion depending on the flavor of linux you may need to give it sudo powers so it wont choke on the drive scanning for games.
Finally something went smoother than I expected. It gave me the option to skip all scans, and find the locations manually. It should default to $HOME, though. The GUI is a bit clunky, but otherwise seems to work.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Just a silly patch day morning rant...