Quantcast ESO going B2P model, 17 March subscription gone - Page 2 - ESOUI
Thread Tools Display Modes
01/22/15, 02:44 PM   #21
Randactyl
 
Randactyl's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by katkat42 View Post
My guess is, as time goes on, this will be the route by which pay-to-win sneaks into the game. They won't sell the best gear, but the best gear will only drop in DLC zones. Which you'll have to pay to access, one way or another.
I would argue this is just a different way of skinning the same cat. Using the same parameters it could be said that the traditional subscription model is pay to win in the first place since you are having to pay extra to play (and win) the game you have already bought.

I don't think this sentiment is often expressed because one, it is a decades old practice, and two, someone is probably more likely to go along with something if they don't feel they have a choice.

Switching to a buy to play model with optional subscription introduces another choice and causes customers to make a more complicated decision. Some will feel no sub is better for them, while other feel a sub is better and others still may be torn between the two unable to make a decision. And in the current culture of the internet where every poster is right and all others are literally Hitler, this creates unnecessary contention.
__________________
Randactyl | NA Megaserver | Blood for the Pact!

My Addons
Check out my GitHub repos to follow my latest changes and see some addons before they are released.
  Reply With Quote
01/22/15, 04:37 PM   #22
dopiate
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 147
Originally Posted by Randactyl View Post
I would argue this is just a different way of skinning the same cat. Using the same parameters it could be said that the traditional subscription model is pay to win in the first place since you are having to pay extra to play (and win) the game you have already bought.

I don't think this sentiment is often expressed because one, it is a decades old practice, and two, someone is probably more likely to go along with something if they don't feel they have a choice.

Switching to a buy to play model with optional subscription introduces another choice and causes customers to make a more complicated decision. Some will feel no sub is better for them, while other feel a sub is better and others still may be torn between the two unable to make a decision. And in the current culture of the internet where every poster is right and all others are literally Hitler, this creates unnecessary contention.
Ok I do have one question, name one F2P, P2W, Pay to Level, or any other model that someone has gotten it right?

I think your player base cares the most when they have a subscription.

I mean fine - sell pets, and costumes but this isn't looking that innocent.

-d

ps I have a long history with this I started with UO and hung in there until the "Ninja" expansion!!! I played WoW and hung in there until the "Panda" expansion and I played Rift until almost anything good you have to pay for one way or another -- so ESO is my Fav of all time so far in game play and play style but I think they have made some bad choices. Why not make 1 mega sever and let the rest of the team work on content?
  Reply With Quote
01/22/15, 06:24 PM   #23
EmberQuill
 
EmberQuill's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by dopiate View Post
Ok I do have one question, name one F2P, P2W, Pay to Level, or any other model that someone has gotten it right?
Well, F2P and P2W and other models like that often end up not working, but B2P has been pulled off successfully at least a couple times.
  Reply With Quote
01/23/15, 12:09 PM   #24
joshmiller83
AddOn Super User
 
joshmiller83's Avatar
Premium Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by dopiate View Post
Ok I do have one question, name one F2P, P2W, Pay to Level, or any other model that someone has gotten it right?
Guild Wars 2
  Reply With Quote
01/23/15, 07:54 PM   #25
Tierney11290
 
Tierney11290's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by joshmiller83 View Post
Guild Wars 2
Got it right, but not enough content. The game was awesome to level in and WvWvW was good, but the content released after isn't worthy. It's all one time events and that's it.

I do have trust and confidence in ZOS to keep the game going and keep out p2w items though.
  Reply With Quote
01/23/15, 08:48 PM   #26
timidobserver
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by dopiate View Post
Ok I do have one question, name one F2P, P2W, Pay to Level, or any other model that someone has gotten it right?

I think your player base cares the most when they have a subscription.

I mean fine - sell pets, and costumes but this isn't looking that innocent.

-d

ps I have a long history with this I started with UO and hung in there until the "Ninja" expansion!!! I played WoW and hung in there until the "Panda" expansion and I played Rift until almost anything good you have to pay for one way or another -- so ESO is my Fav of all time so far in game play and play style but I think they have made some bad choices. Why not make 1 mega sever and let the rest of the team work on content?
It's about money. If the investors don't get their money they won't pay for the game. You can't expect people to lose money to make you happy. We are fortunate that they are trying to be conservative about it and just offer cosmetics and minor boosts.

I have a guild that currently has 128 members of which about 10 are still subbed. It makes complete sense to try to get those other 118 players back in the game in hopes that they may be swayed to drop a few dollars here and there.

It is important to judge the ESO B2P system on its own merits not the merits of the other games you have had a bad experience with.

Last edited by timidobserver : 01/23/15 at 08:52 PM.
  Reply With Quote
01/26/15, 02:16 PM   #27
EmberQuill
 
EmberQuill's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by Tierney11290 View Post
Got it right, but not enough content. The game was awesome to level in and WvWvW was good, but the content released after isn't worthy. It's all one time events and that's it.

I do have trust and confidence in ZOS to keep the game going and keep out p2w items though.
Somewhat ironically, the first major expansion for GW2 was just announced the day after your post.

Also, the original Guild Wars counts as a B2P MMO that succeeded so well that it still has a semi-active player base even after active development ceased a couple years ago.
  Reply With Quote
01/26/15, 03:33 PM   #28
dopiate
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 147
Originally Posted by timidobserver View Post
It's about money. If the investors don't get their money they won't pay for the game. You can't expect people to lose money to make you happy. We are fortunate that they are trying to be conservative about it and just offer cosmetics and minor boosts.

I have a guild that currently has 128 members of which about 10 are still subbed. It makes complete sense to try to get those other 118 players back in the game in hopes that they may be swayed to drop a few dollars here and there.

It is important to judge the ESO B2P system on its own merits not the merits of the other games you have had a bad experience with.
I'm keeping an open mind but everything seems very light on actual confirmed content - I guess tomorrow we will know for sure.

-d
  Reply With Quote
01/26/15, 03:38 PM   #29
QuadroTony
Banned
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 828
skill line of Thieves will be added in 1.6
inside info, 100%
  Reply With Quote
01/27/15, 10:47 AM   #30
Garkin
 
Garkin's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 853
Originally Posted by QuadroTony View Post
skill line of Thieves will be added in 1.6
inside info, 100%
You probably mean Legerdemain skill line mentioned in the last article here:
http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en...justice-system

Legerdemain Skill Line

This skill line, which can be found in the “World” category, gains experience as you commit crimes. The abilities you’ll find here will make you even better at your unlawful pursuits, so make sure to check it out if you’re committed to a life of crime!
__________________
@Garkin (retired from ESO)
My addons: SkyShards, LoreBooks, Dustman, Map Coordinates, No, thank you!, ... (full list)
  Reply With Quote

ESOUI » General Discussion » Gameplay » ESO going B2P model, 17 March subscription gone

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off