12/05/17, 11:35 AM   #1
neferitous
Research on offline options

I am new to this and have not found anything specifically decyring this, so I want to ask before I plan anything. Are there any current tools that or are you allowed to create any site/app that allows you to request data, like viewing your characters armor, guild inventory, etc?? Or are you only allowed to create in-game mods?

Thanks in advance!!

neferitous
12/06/17, 07:39 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ingame addons only! No access to online data ingame.
No access to locally stored data ingame except after a reloadui/logout + login, and only access to files inside the SavedVariables folder!
12/31/20, 12:21 AM   #3
DewiMorgan

Well... is that because it's a Rule of ZOS, or because there's jost no built-in way to do it?

"viewing your characters armor, guild inventory, etc" is absolutely something that you could cache and view offline: heck, I've got a personal addon that updates a google spreadsheet with the trait training and motif learning on each of my characters. This would require nothing more complicated.

It's not forbidden, is it?
12/31/20, 02:41 AM   #4
andy.s
If you store your character's info into saved variables, then you are free to do anything with it, it's just a text file.
12/31/20, 05:50 AM   #5
sirinsidiator

ZOS has repeatedly stated in the past that they do not want addons to exchange data from within the game in real time. Main reasons being that they don't want gameplay to be overly trivialized by addons (e.g. coordination in Cyrodiil via an addon that sends the player positions of each participating group somewhere) and also to protect player privacy (e.g. uploading dps of each group member to some sort of ranking site and then autokick anyone who's below x).
Of course that doesn't mean those examples are completely impossible, but it's a lot harder to do and there are other more nefarious things that addons could achieve with real time data exchange, which I'll leave up to your imagination.
12/31/20, 09:15 AM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
ZOS has repeatedly stated in the past that they do not want addons to exchange data from within the game in real time. Main reasons being that they don't want gameplay to be overly trivialized by addons (e.g. coordination in Cyrodiil via an addon that sends the player positions of each participating group somewhere) and also to protect player privacy (e.g. uploading dps of each group member to some sort of ranking site and then autokick anyone who's below x).
Of course that doesn't mean those examples are completely impossible, but it's a lot harder to do and there are other more nefarious things that addons could achieve with real time data exchange, which I'll leave up to your imagination.
That information given I would like to attach:
ZOs already nerfed some APIs after data sharing was used in a way they did not like (and many players neither liked).
So if you find ways they probably will get stripped, if used for the "wrong idea" (or maybe if used for a nice roleplaying idea but culd be abused for something else as well).
11/09/21, 09:24 AM   #7
YesImBattman

Offline Research

Old thread, I know. But I too would like some clarification in this area.

ESO-Database.com uses their client to collect data and post it to their website. Its actually a pretty nice platform from what I can see.
How is this collection of data any different from what is being questioned here?
11/11/21, 09:37 AM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
As long as you do not collect realtime data and update it frequently, it should be alright. Saved variables are only written at reloadui/zone change (with few exceptions. Read the esoui wiki about savedvars for this please) so collecting it and sending it to any website, like eso dB.com, or TTC do, should be okay. "Should" because ZOs never said it is AFAIK.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Dev Tools » Research on offline options