04/08/14, 11:42 AM   #1
Sideshow

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Following the story vs. just playing the game

Hello

Like many of you, I started this game, once again with the intent to "follow the story line". I did so, till level 18.
After this point, I lost my focus and kind of just played, clicked all quests away asap and received gold and XP.

I felt I had seen all quests types. Either, you have to save a town or some people, you have to enter a portal because some mighty ghost appeared before you, you have to resolve some kind of misunderstanding, or fight any interference from the dark cultists or any other evil Molag Bal follower.

In the end, I just want to "play a game". I want to enjoy eye-candy, I want to explore a world, to receive rewards, hack and slash, burn enemies, defeat powerful foes, get shiny new gear.

This is something that happens often, but frankly, when playing a game after a hard day's work, I want to PLAY and not "pay attention and focus to follow the story line".

In this aspect, Diablo for example is the reverse: the story is limited, the action endless, and so a new problem arises: hacking and slashing is kind of the ONLY thing you are doing.

Now, I would like to now how you feel about this. Is skipping the bigger part of the story line acceptable or do you think it is an absolute must? Yes, I feel guilty when skipping the dialogue but I also have difficulty listening to yet another ghost-with-troubles. :-)
04/08/14, 11:49 AM   #2
Greevir

I have to listen to everything. I even use a mod that removes the text dialog so I don't read ahead of the voice actor. If I even get to the point where I am just clicking through stuff, the game is no longer for me and I quit. This is something I realized with WoW. My little brother came in watching me play WoW and saw me clicking through quests. He asked me why I was doing it and I told him because I just want to get the the end. I then sat there for a moment, staring at my screen and though to myself "OMG, I don't enjoy this. I'm not having fun. Why am I paying for this." I ended my subscription that night. I used to just be all about the big numbers all over my screen and the phat lewts but I realized I outgrew that stuff. I want story. I want an emotional attachment to the world I am practically living in. That's just where I'm at now.
04/08/14, 12:08 PM   #3
Sideshow

That is interesting. I think I skipped like 95% of the quest texts in WoW, but I played it for 5 years and enjoyed it a lot. For me, an MMO must be able to create an attractive, magical world for a group of players. Now, this last thing worries me in ESO, but at the moment, the world is very enjoyable by itself.
04/08/14, 12:27 PM   #4
Sharp

Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
I have to listen to everything. I even use a mod that removes the text dialog so I don't read ahead of the voice actor. If I even get to the point where I am just clicking through stuff, the game is no longer for me and I quit. This is something I realized with WoW. My little brother came in watching me play WoW and saw me clicking through quests. He asked me why I was doing it and I told him because I just want to get the the end. I then sat there for a moment, staring at my screen and though to myself "OMG, I don't enjoy this. I'm not having fun. Why am I paying for this." I ended my subscription that night. I used to just be all about the big numbers all over my screen and the phat lewts but I realized I outgrew that stuff. I want story. I want an emotional attachment to the world I am practically living in. That's just where I'm at now.
I think clicking through quests in WoW is a lot different than ESO, as in ESO, everything is leading up to end game, whereas in WoW, all there is is end game.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Gameplay » Following the story vs. just playing the game