03/17/18, 07:26 AM   #1
manavortex

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[outdated] FILTER_TYPE chat channel

Hello Chip,
could we get FILTER_TYPES for the different chat channels? That would make life easier for AddOns that parse chat input.

Thank you.

03/18/18, 01:54 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Yes, I definately second this request for several chat related addons which change the channel to speak on automatically.

Filtering Chat channels from npcs etc. Would speed up the events a lot imo.

03/18/18, 02:44 PM   #3
sirinsidiator

I can see how filters make sense for combat and inventory events performance wise, as they are fired quite often, but chat events? I have never seen more than a handful in any given second? It shouldn't make any noticeable difference when you filter them in Lua compared to C. Still could be nice for completeness sake to have a filter type for them.

03/18/18, 02:50 PM   #4
Dolgubon

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
I can see how filters make sense for combat and inventory events performance wise, as they are fired quite often, but chat events? I have never seen more than a handful in any given second? It shouldn't make any noticeable difference when you filter them in Lua compared to C. Still could be nice for completeness sake to have a filter type for them.
Clearly, you have never been in multiple trade guilds all doing an auction while being in Auridon when zone chat is debating politics.

03/18/18, 02:54 PM   #5
sirinsidiator

Originally Posted by Dolgubon View Post
Clearly, you have never been in multiple trade guilds all doing an auction while being in Auridon when zone chat is debating politics.
I am in multiple trading guilds, but still wouldn't think about performance implications with that amount of chat messages...

03/18/18, 04:53 PM   #6
Ayantir

I don't understand your request. There is already filters for chat.

What do you want to do?

And there is nothing about performance. When a lazy dev debugs 10k lines in 1 s, chat don't suffers that much. And I know you all do that.

03/19/18, 06:51 AM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
If there is no impact on performance I'm fine with just checking the event's callback function parameter (e.g. chat_channel_type).
I thought it's nice to do this on the C side if we e.g. do not want to have any of the NPC messages or zone messages within our addon, but just need to check the guild chat e.g.

@Ayantir
Ok, so where are those filters for the chat? Do they work liek the other event filters too?

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [outdated] FILTER_TYPE chat channel