06/25/14, 04:42 AM   #61
Flamage

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've released version 1.1.3, which fixes a couple of issues that were introduced by the patch. However, ZOS has made a change in the was SavedVariables are stored, which you can read about at http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1843

The steps in the above thread will need to be performed before logging in, otherwise your Librarian data WILL be lost.

As always, and now more than ever, please backup your saved variables before you update. It is a good idea to take a backup regularly anyway.

I'll be adding back in the ability to import from the lore library for all of those who have been affected by this bug (this time it will be a manual option from the settings menu, to avoid login timeouts). Unfortunately, without a backup, if you have lost your book data there is no way to recover the read / unread status and the date found data. I apologise to all who have been affected, but the changes made by ZOS in this instance contain at least two serious bugs which addon authors are unable to mitigate through the addons themselves.
06/25/14, 05:47 PM   #62
brakndawnt
Lost in Translation

Ok, so I followed the steps listed in the thread for the new Saved Variables setup. I know it worked, because I was able to access my library. But after logging in a second time, everything was gone anyways. Over 300 books logged all gone. I didn't create a backup, cause I was certain I had done it correctly.

Needless to say, I'm either about to stab someone or cry. Or both.

Long story short, is there a database of all books (obviously without their read/unread status) that I could just import into my Saved Variables lua file so I could at the vary least still have the books to read when I want to read them? Or, would it be possible to copy someone else's lua file into mine (changing the applicable lines, obviously) and it still work?

I'm mortified at my loss. Your addon was the first one I looked for an update after the patch. I literally avoided progressing in game because I didn't want to miss logging any books. Is there any way to salvage what at this point seems to be irreparable damage?
06/25/14, 05:56 PM   #63
Flamage

Originally Posted by brakndawnt View Post
Ok, so I followed the steps listed in the thread for the new Saved Variables setup. I know it worked, because I was able to access my library. But after logging in a second time, everything was gone anyways. Over 300 books logged all gone. I didn't create a backup, cause I was certain I had done it correctly.
Were you running the latest version (1.1.3, released about 13 hours ago) of the addon? I'm not aware of any issues in that version that would cause data loss. If there is, I'd very much like to know about them.

I will be re-enabling the Lore Library import hopefully tonight, so you'll be able to get all your data back. It will be a manual option in the settings menu, no longer automatic.
06/25/14, 10:31 PM   #64
brakndawnt
I wish I had more detailed information to give you, but I'll tell you the process I went through up until I lost my data.

I read about the Saved Variables thing while I was downloading the patch. So when it finished downloading, I loaded the game, but didn't log in, then quit out. I went and changed all of my "@username"s to ""s. Then I went into the game and played this time with no problems. Addons were disabled as all of them were out of date. [Game was updated at this point, addon was not]

This afternoon after work, I came home and downloaded the updated Librarian. As I had already changed my Saved Variables after my game had been patched, I just replaced my Librarian folder in my Addons with the new one. [Now both game and addon are updated]

Loaded the game and I didn't tell the game to load Librarian out of date (thought it would have been marked 'in date', so didn't think I needed to). So when I got into the game (despite it supposedly not loading Librarian, as it's marked out of date) I got a UI Error from several strings listing Librarian. I dismissed the error and logged out. Checked and saw Librarian was listed out of date (but knowing I just updated it), then told the game to load out of date addons (of which I only selected Librarian). Went back into game and Librarian now worked... but that's when I found all my junk missing. Went and checked my Saved Variables file and it still says "", but it's just missing all of my book data.

Again, wish I could provide more details, but I wasn't thinking it would be a problem. But this should at least give you the proper order of events that led to the problem so you might be able to decipher what happened.
06/26/14, 02:28 AM   #65
Flamage

Originally Posted by brakndawnt View Post
Loaded the game and I didn't tell the game to load Librarian out of date (thought it would have been marked 'in date', so didn't think I needed to). So when I got into the game (despite it supposedly not loading Librarian, as it's marked out of date) I got a UI Error from several strings listing Librarian. I dismissed the error and logged out.
I've just checked the game's behaviour, and the saved variables file definitely would not have been touched unless librarian was loaded, and you couldn't have gotten any UI errors. As long as the first time you enabled Librarian was with 1.1.3, it should have updated without any issues. I'm not sure what happened, but it is what it is.

I'm working on the Lore Library import now.
06/27/14, 07:27 PM   #66
Galdran
I also opened up the program before I realized about the bug (and had no backup).

I was able to copy my librarian.lua file out of the saved variables directory before it completely wiped out the data.

I have a bunch of books that now have ["body"] = nil -- invalid string value,

I was wondering if anyone had a copy of the lua file format before the patch so i can see if I can manually fix it myself. Doesn't have to have allot of books in it, just a few so I can compare and edit my existing lua file in an attempt to recover it.
06/27/14, 08:33 PM   #67
Galdran
Originally Posted by Galdran View Post
I also opened up the program before I realized about the bug (and had no backup).

I was able to copy my librarian.lua file out of the saved variables directory before it completely wiped out the data.

I have a bunch of books that now have ["body"] = nil -- invalid string value,

I was wondering if anyone had a copy of the lua file format before the patch so i can see if I can manually fix it myself. Doesn't have to have allot of books in it, just a few so I can compare and edit my existing lua file in an attempt to recover it.
I was able to fix my file, but with all the books that where now "nil -- invalid string value"

I would have to start over anyways.

I decided since i'm so far through the game, can't go back to some areas, just to remove thos mode and wait till they fix eidetic memory.

I love your mod, but any mod that I have to carefully remember to backup to prevent me losing hundreds of lines of data from ESO screwing up is not worth the hassle.

Keep up the great work.
06/29/14, 03:42 AM   #68
Flamage

Originally Posted by Galdran View Post
I was able to fix my file, but with all the books that where now "nil -- invalid string value"

I would have to start over anyways.
You wouldn't need to start over. I'll be adding a fix for this soon so that books that have empty bodies due to this Zenimax bug will be reconstructed from Eidetic memory on the fly.
06/29/14, 10:30 AM   #69
Sasky
Keep in mind that the comment is improperly formatted, so you'll need to fix that.

Replace
Code:
nil -- invalid string value,
with
Code:
nil, -- invalid string value
Otherwise the game will fail to load the saved variables file fully, and most everything will be lost.
06/29/14, 04:08 PM   #70
Flamage

Originally Posted by Sasky View Post
Keep in mind that the comment is improperly formatted, so you'll need to fix that.

Replace
Code:
nil -- invalid string value,
with
Code:
nil, -- invalid string value
Otherwise the game will fail to load the saved variables file fully, and most everything will be lost.
That's true, a string replace will need to be run over the file in notepad or something similar to fix the errors before the game will load it properly.
08/04/14, 05:05 PM   #71
Flamage

I've just released version 1.2.1 which fixes the error that was being displayed as a result of patch 1.3.

Patch 1.3 also fixed the GetDisplayName() bug, so I've added a button in the settings menu to migrate your data back to its rightful location. You should use this button if you log in and find your library is empty. As always, I recommend that at least before each patch, and before enabling out-of-date addons, you take a backup of your saved variables.
08/13/14, 06:31 PM   #72
mbeetley
library lost when logging in w/2nd character

I've attached the librarian.lua file that had the problem I mentioned (the library getting erased upon logging in w/a 2nd character) on the comments board. Here's hoping you can figure out the problem.

Incidentally, we have the game installed on 2 different PCs (I play mainly on one computer, my wife plays mainly on the other) and I had the same problem with the library file on the other one, albeit with the error at a different line, so I may need to apply the same fix to the other file. But I've just attached the one here that I mentioned in my original question.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Librarian.zip (751.8 KB, 879 views)
08/14/14, 09:07 PM   #73
Flamage

Originally Posted by mbeetley View Post
I've attached the librarian.lua file that had the problem I mentioned (the library getting erased upon logging in w/a 2nd character) on the comments board. Here's hoping you can figure out the problem.
Thanks for posting that. I've fixed the issue and released version 1.2.4.
08/16/14, 05:25 PM   #74
Abel

interface that closes every time we leave the book

Hello, glad to see this addons back.
I have trouble when I want to get out of a book I just read, I completely out of the addons.
Before when I left the book I had opened I returned to the list and I could attack another.
I would like to close a book and return to the list to chain another book unread, without having to reopen the addons every time.(translated by Google)

Thank you.
08/17/14, 01:51 AM   #75
Flamage

Originally Posted by Abel View Post
Hello, glad to see this addons back.
I have trouble when I want to get out of a book I just read, I completely out of the addons.
Before when I left the book I had opened I returned to the list and I could attack another.
I would like to close a book and return to the list to chain another book unread, without having to reopen the addons every time.(translated by Google)

Thank you.
This is something that was changed by Zenimax in the last patch. I agree that it is annoying and I am looking into a fix for it. Give me a few days and it should be ready.
08/17/14, 01:05 PM   #76
Abel

Originally Posted by Flamage View Post
This is something that was changed by Zenimax in the last patch. I agree that it is annoying and I am looking into a fix for it. Give me a few days and it should be ready.
Great. Thank you.
08/17/14, 04:47 PM   #77
Flamage

Originally Posted by Abel View Post
Great. Thank you.
I've deployed a new version (1.2.5) which fixes this issue. It was actually a bug in Zenimax's implementation. They didn't intend to have the book reader always return to the base scene, as there is code there that specifically handles returning to the inventory and lore reader screens, but the exit code is broken. The side effect of my fix is that it will also fix it for those screens as well .

I've done basic testing on the fix but I'd appreciate if anyone finds any bugs that they could let me know right away so I can get a fix out asap.
10/04/14, 03:46 AM   #78
Nita
Thanks for this great add-on which changes "my life IG" ;-)

I have a major issue though : the search function leads 90% of the time (not always though...) to an error that causes the game to crash and close immediately.

Any way to fix this ?

Tia ;-)
10/22/14, 01:42 AM   #79
Flamage

Originally Posted by Nita View Post
Thanks for this great add-on which changes "my life IG" ;-)

I have a major issue though : the search function leads 90% of the time (not always though...) to an error that causes the game to crash and close immediately.

Any way to fix this ?

Tia ;-)
Sorry it took me so long to reply to this - I got the notification but promptly forgot about it...

I have seen this issue as well, and it happens every time I type quickly in the search box. It will likely be worse if you have a slower CPU. I have some ideas about throttling the searches but I haven't thought of any that are particularly simple. In the meantime, do you find it works ok if you leave a short gap between each keypress in the search box?
10/24/14, 06:06 AM   #80
Migoda
Originally Posted by Flamage View Post
In the meantime, do you find it works ok if you leave a short gap between each keypress in the search box?
Hey, i got the same crash problems when using the search function. Typing with gaps helps sometimes but not always. Crashes do occur too when i try to delete characters via backspace.

Any idea whats causing this? Other addons with search functions are working without any crashes here.

ESOUI » AddOns » Released AddOns » Librarian