09/20/17, 01:23 PM   #1
Ayantir

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[outdated] Sub communication channel for addons

Hello,

I know this is a 4 years old request but once again.

The lack of communication between clients is really a pain.
Since release, we did hacked few systems to emulate a communication between clients. They all got their limitations and issues.

The MapPing hack : Don't handle multiple addons using that technique very well.

The Social (Friend/Guild) Notes : Capped in length and break this functionnality. Users without the addon will have broken functionnalities, Multiple addons can conflict if too much data.

The internal mail system : Capped to ~70 messages of ~700 chars each. Receiver can be disconnected but need to check his mailxob often. Actually used by me for datamining.

The chat system : Require the user to press "Enter"

The Saved Variables & the daemon : Require an external software generally linked to a database on the web.

My suggestion !

A subcommunication channel for addons :
How it works ?

1 channel is removed from the list of channels available to everyone (if needed).
CHAT_CHANNEL_MONSTER_WHISPER & CHAT_CHANNEL_MONSTER_EMOTE are not used in game per example.

- Sending a message is limited to the chat system limitations (flood & length).
This will avoid spammy addons to send too much data.
- Sending a message is not possible while in combat (Protected function).
- Receiving a message is not possible while in combat (Is it really needed?)
This will prevent any power usage of combat / raiding / pvp usage.
- Receiving messages is capped to 10 messages / 10 seconds
- This would prevent the stupid answer of 500 users for 1 request.
- It would not be possible to send message to an ignored person
- Messages sent by ignored persons would not be received
- This would prevent "DDOSing" this system.

- Receiving a message is done throught EVENT_CHAT_MESSAGE_CHANNEL
- If possible, addon can send data to a specified target. It can be any valid target of the chat system. Some are removed to prevent abuses and traffic.
CHAT_CHANNEL_WHISPER, CHAT_CHANNEL_PARTY, CHAT_CHANNEL_GUILD_1 (+2+3+4+5) would be awesome.

- Ex of function :
SendAddonMessage(string message, number restrictedChannelId, string target)

Some example of addons which could become possible with this :

- Share of Coordinates
- Housing Directories
- Ingame Calendar
- Share of Achievements
- Other automatizations of P2P tasks / requests (such as craft).

I do understand that this could lead to unwanted power addons.
Disabling the communication while in combat suppress 99% of abuses.
I try to find what kind of power usage it could lead. It could also lead to a bigger network traffic but with some good coders it could not be too much. If you already have cases of bad things it could lead with this, just tell.

We chatted a bit and all the limitations mentionned already exists ingame and prevent almost everything.

Thank you for considering this.

Last edited by Ayantir : 09/20/17 at 01:50 PM.

09/29/17, 08:30 AM   #2
Torhal
Premium Member
Premium Member
Your suggestion seems too limited in a few areas. Here is what World of Warcraft has had available for the past 13 years: https://wow.gamepedia.com/API_SendAddonMessage

All limitations are listed there; the WoW version has no in-combat limitation, however, which may or may not go against the ZOS philosophy.

09/29/17, 03:26 PM   #3
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
What kind of addons would you all like to make if this was implemented?

09/29/17, 03:36 PM   #4
Rhyono
I'd probably make it possible to share blueprint/recipe knowledge via CraftStore (preferably with at least a 300 character limit so I could fit blueprints in a single message).

09/29/17, 04:35 PM   #5
Dolgubon

I'd like to make a crafting request addon. Players could enter what they want, and then other players in the guild who have the addon would see that request.

09/29/17, 06:05 PM   #6
Ayantir

I would like to build a Guild Calendar, this thing is REALLY asked.

I would also enjoy to create a "Beautiful House Directory". Users will be able to open their houses and share their creations to everyone. They'll able to "like" and share the address with their friends. Housing Hype basically.

I would also like creating the Share Ping Feature used in many MMOs to ping a location and share it with a friend asking for a location. It's a very useful feature and I still miss it from day 1 to help my friends. This one exist but only in party and is really underused and not known at all.

I would also be able to permit to share theorycrafting builds between people. And maybe build an ingame "ESOBuilds". Maybe push that feature to a complete "share my whole build stats skills cp items"

Maybe share achievements with friends because they deserve it too.

After I think that the main thing is what we would like to share or what is too complicated to ask without writing/screenshoting it.

I have some other crazy ideas, but I won't clearly have the time for.

09/30/17, 04:42 AM   #7
sirinsidiator

There's a lot of stuff I would love to share and I am sure ZOS wouldn't like half of it. :P
The first thing I would use it for would be for sharing the current guild kiosk owners between users of AGS.

09/30/17, 04:44 AM   #8
Ayantir

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
There's a lot of stuff I would love to share and I am sure ZOS wouldn't like half of it. :P
The first thing I would use it for would be for sharing the current guild kiosk owners between users of AGS.
I agree that I have others things in mind I would not talk about only to (very) limited people.

09/30/17, 07:18 AM   #9
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'd love to write an addon that shows the equipment and used skills of other users using the same addon (if the users allow stuff to be shared).
Something like the "inspect" feature from LOTRO.

Maybe restricted to guild members, maybe not. This would help to easily share info about worn sets, used skills etc.

09/30/17, 10:18 AM   #10
Letho
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
I'd love to write an addon that shows the equipment and used skills of other users using the same addon (if the users allow stuff to be shared).
Something like the "inspect" feature from LOTRO.

Maybe restricted to guild members, maybe not. This would help to easily share info about worn sets, used skills etc.
This is definetely a core mmo feature that ESO is missing. I'd even encourage ZOS to implement it in the base game.

What I would use it for: I'd want this feature for live combat parsers, such as dmg meters, because I don't like having to upload my parses after a raid... Group ressources (stamina, magicka, ultimate) would also be very nice to know - never understood why ZOS made it private.

09/30/17, 11:31 AM   #11
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I don't like damage meters and such addons at all.
Imo this communication between addons should not be possible during combat and only be used out of combat.

Like Aynatir already wrote above:
Sending a message is not possible while in combat (Protected function).
- Receiving a message is not possible while in combat (Is it really needed?)
And if we use chat channels to communicate it would make the client disconnect because of a chat spam (message spam) if used inside combat!

09/30/17, 05:19 PM   #12
Letho
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
I don't like damage meters and such addons at all.
Imo this communication between addons should not be possible during combat and only be used out of combat.

Like Aynatir already wrote above:

And if we use chat channels to communicate it would make the client disconnect because of a chat spam (message spam) if used inside combat!
1. This kind of addons is already possible using the map ping "functionality".
2. If users dont like it, they can simply deactive such addons or better: don't download them at all. Some ppl state that those addons' sheer existance would make raids or raid leads to demand those addons from their groups, but this point is invalid as this is already happening (parse screenshots are mandatory in good guilds), so those addons would just be a QoL improvement.
Conclusion: Requesting a ban for those addons is nothing more but trying to force one's oppinion upon other ppl instead of giving them a choice that mature persons deserve to make themselves.

09/30/17, 05:40 PM   #13
Dolgubon

Oh also another potentially interesting idea would be the option to make certain lights in homes 'communicate.' For example, say you have a light near the entrance, if a player interacts with it then they will see a message 'Welcome, crafting stations that way, dummies that way.' (Or maybe, 'CAUGHT! It was you turning the lights out!') It would only work if the player who owns the house is online. This idea is more of a thought experiment, and I'm not sure if I'd ever make it.

Mainly, I was thinking it would be awesome to have a message board furniture for houses.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [outdated] Sub communication channel for addons