07/14/14, 04:17 PM   #1
Golwendae
(bug) Minion not opening with update

on a mac pro, 10.8.5. When I hit the icon, the 'expanding icon' animation happens and Minion shows up on the top tool bar and on the bottom action bar-- but then within a second or two it disappears. The program does not open. When this happened after I accepted the update from within the old version, I deleted and re-downloaded from the website, same thing happening. Looking forward to the bug correct-- it's a great program, thanks! I am only using it for ESO, but I still have my old WoW install.
07/14/14, 05:17 PM   #2
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Interesting, I don't think we've tested the recent changes on 10.8, I and our java programmer use 10.9 and its working well.

From the sounds of it Minion is trying to use the windows systray stuff in OSX 10.8 when it shouldnt be using it at all. You're saying you see the Minion icon for a short period of time in the top finder bar next to the time?

I'll have to scrounge up a 10.8 system some where.

Last edited by Dolby : 07/14/14 at 05:22 PM.
07/14/14, 07:33 PM   #3
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
From a terminal window could you try this command?

java -jar /Applications/Minion.app/Contents/Java/Minion-jfx.jar

Let me know if Minion loads? If it doesnt load can you copy and paste the output in your terminal window?

Thanks
07/14/14, 09:24 PM   #4
Golwendae
Java seems to be one issue on my end--

I entered java -jar /Applications/Minion.app/Contents/Java/Minion-jfx.jar in a terminal window, and was given a JavaFX Launcher notice that "This application requires a newer version of the Java runtime." Went through the update process, same result in the terminal window-- then deleted files, applets etc through the Java control panel, installed again (ran website check to see if the newest version 'took'), made sure Java is enabled in browser (not that that should make a difference here)-- same results from terminal window. Sorry to be a bother!
07/16/14, 09:18 AM   #5
Pangnirtung
I created an account today because I am having the exact same problem as the poster.

I am on an iMac OS 10.9.4 using Minion for ESO only.

When my Minion client updated a few days ago it suddenly stopped working. It loads in the tray for a few seconds and then disappears.

I deleted all the hidden Minion files and folder and removed the application. Re-install. No go.

I updated Java the way it was described and still Minion sits in my tray for a few seconds and then shuts down.

My computer has been re-started multiple times since the install and the folders, and files, hidden ones too removed. Still no go.

Any other possible solutions other than what I have tried?
07/18/14, 07:02 AM   #6
Pangnirtung
None?

I guess the only option is to delete Minion and manually install addons.

I searched for older versions, specifically the one that worked on my mac but to no avail.
07/18/14, 09:54 AM   #7
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Pangnirtung, what do you get when trying the above java command in my post?

We are trying to find a solution however having trouble reproducing the problem. So the more information we get the better chance we can find the problem.

Does this version work for you? http://cdn.mmoui.com/minion/Minion2.0.9-beta.dmg

Last edited by Dolby : 07/18/14 at 09:56 AM.
07/18/14, 11:11 AM   #8
Pangnirtung
@Dolby, when I type in the terminal command I get a message at the top of my screen saying "This application requires a newer version of Java runtime. Please download and install the latest Java runtime from java.com. Then restart the application."

I have done that three times and yesterday Java checked by itself for a a newer version so I think that I have the latest.

Edit:
I downloaded the version u linked to and it DOES work.

Last edited by Pangnirtung : 07/18/14 at 11:13 AM.
07/18/14, 12:05 PM   #9
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Alright thanks Pangnirtung, at least we can confirm again that its something to do with a change between version 2.0.9 and 2.0.10. I have a bug ticket in for our java programmer to investigate this further during our current sprint.
07/18/14, 02:33 PM   #10
Pangnirtung
Thanks so much. I will continue to use the old version until a newer one comes out. Great work! Love the app.
07/24/14, 02:27 PM   #11
Golwendae
Big thanks from me as well

Dolby, the download you linked is working for me also-- thank you very much! This is such a useful tool, and I greatly appreciate your efforts in keeping it up to date. Thanks to the second poster as well, for adding to the information Dolby needs.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » (bug) Minion not opening with update