01/26/18, 07:35 PM   #1
ShadowHvo
Help Requested! I want to create a Public Home Addon

Greetings everyone,

I'm quite a noob at coding, since I'm only capable of HTML, CSS and PHP. I've tried to test the waters a little with Lua, yet I must admit that my head is spinning quite a bit.

Thats why I'll like to ask for help in the creation of rather 'simple' addon. (At least in concept!)

Concept:

The addon should be a collection of public home "hotspots" for roleplayers, but under a rather controlled environment. In other words, each and every home location should be added manually to the addon by the author (Preferably myself, if I can get my head wrapped around it.)

I imagine that each added home should contain a title and a flavour text to accompany it, and should be accessed through an additional button on the ingame map.

Example:
The user opens the map and accesses the "RP Homes" The user is then presented with a list of areas (I.E "The Golden Goose Tavern", "Tailor of Finery & Silks", "Lush Glenumbra Forest" ect ect) which, when clicked, should open up with a window similar to the "purchase Home" screen with an image, title, description and at last a button to travel to the player home.

Even better if possible, it could potentially include a map icon somewhere in the world to allow access to the area more organically.

But first and foremost, I'll like to ask you knowledgable people, if such an addon is possible to create? And if so, would anyone potentially be able to help?
01/27/18, 03:29 AM   #2
votan

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ShadowHvo View Post
Greetings everyone,

I'm quite a noob at coding, since I'm only capable of HTML, CSS and PHP. I've tried to test the waters a little with Lua, yet I must admit that my head is spinning quite a bit.

Thats why I'll like to ask for help in the creation of rather 'simple' addon. (At least in concept!)

Concept:

The addon should be a collection of public home "hotspots" for roleplayers, but under a rather controlled environment. In other words, each and every home location should be added manually to the addon by the author (Preferably myself, if I can get my head wrapped around it.)

I imagine that each added home should contain a title and a flavour text to accompany it, and should be accessed through an additional button on the ingame map.

Example:
The user opens the map and accesses the "RP Homes" The user is then presented with a list of areas (I.E "The Golden Goose Tavern", "Tailor of Finery & Silks", "Lush Glenumbra Forest" ect ect) which, when clicked, should open up with a window similar to the "purchase Home" screen with an image, title, description and at last a button to travel to the player home.

Even better if possible, it could potentially include a map icon somewhere in the world to allow access to the area more organically.

But first and foremost, I'll like to ask you knowledgable people, if such an addon is possible to create? And if so, would anyone potentially be able to help?
Adding map pins, even area pins, is doable. There are a lot addons doing this and could be taking as an example.
Adding tabs to existing windows is doable. A bit advanced topic, but doable. Again, there are addons and libraries to explain how.
Porting to a specific location is not doable. You can port to the nearest wayshrine only.
And again, there are addons for tavelling, which show you how.

I would start with the map pins and those tooltips.
01/27/18, 05:58 AM   #3
sirinsidiator

I think he's asking about houses. Jumping to a specific house of a player is possible as long as he has purchased it and set the permissions correctly.
01/27/18, 12:41 PM   #4
ShadowHvo
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
I think he's asking about houses. Jumping to a specific house of a player is possible as long as he has purchased it and set the permissions correctly.
That is indeed correct! I'm talking solely of teleporting to a specific players home, which naturally, should be 'set in stone' in the addon itself.

But I'm glad to hear that an addon like this is indeed possible, now I simply have to find out how to specifically go about it.

I'm still considering to outright hire a Addon Creator to do the base of the code, and then I, hopefully, would be able to take over to add in the text, images, player & their homes as time progresses in the RP community.

If its not too much to ask for however, how would you experienced folks go about it?
01/27/18, 01:09 PM   #5
Dolgubon

Originally Posted by ShadowHvo View Post
That is indeed correct! I'm talking solely of teleporting to a specific players home, which naturally, should be 'set in stone' in the addon itself.

But I'm glad to hear that an addon like this is indeed possible, now I simply have to find out how to specifically go about it.

I'm still considering to outright hire a Addon Creator to do the base of the code, and then I, hopefully, would be able to take over to add in the text, images, player & their homes as time progresses in the RP community.

If its not too much to ask for however, how would you experienced folks go about it?

So if you haven't yet done so, you should learn lua. You can test stuff out with /script or https://www.lua.org/cgi-bin/demo. Once you've done that, check out wiki.esoui.com and follow one of the tutorials there. When you finish with that, you should have an addon base.

Once you have an addon base, I would try experimenting with the player house teleportation functions in game. Find out how it works, and what if any limitations there are. Then, I'd create the addon using just slash commands. Next, create the UI. I'd probably make the window that opens up first, then work on adding the stuff to the map window after.
01/27/18, 08:03 PM   #6
ShadowHvo
Thanks for the amazing tips! I'll try my best and see if I can get something working.

Once again, thank you kindly for all your responses, they're truly a help for someone new to Addons, as I am.
01/27/18, 08:25 PM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
After working with the tutorials you are able to see some of the game's source code here. Maybe it helps you understand, or at least you can use the search function to find some infos/variable names etc.

https://github.com/esoui/esoui/tree/master/esoui/
01/30/18, 02:05 AM   #8
manavortex

Hey there,
I have a similar AddOn for my guild's internal use. You can find it here.

Explanation: It doesn't add anything to the map - just slash commands, registered via sirinsidiator's LibSlashCommand.

There are two lists in the source code: Other peoples' homes, and your own homes. You add houses to either of the lists with the house ID as value. You can get this printed to chat by writing
Code:
/script GetHouseZoneId()
(or directly)
Code:
/script d(GetCurrentZoneHouseId())
in ESO.

The list "myHouses" gets parsed to /home .. /home<n>. You can add more entries by adding a numeric key and the house zone ID. The explanation visible will be the house's collectible nickname.

The list "otherPeoplesHouses" contains sub-dictionarys with either the account name or a character name as keys. I've left @marcopolo184 in as an example - the dude is awesome, he has every single set station in his house and has set it to be publicly accessible. I use it as a crafting hub.
In "houseIds", you can enter the text that's supposed to be displayed after the slash command. In "houseCommands", you enter the shortcut.

You can add more houses by expanding either of the lists.

If you are going to release this, please change the AddOn name. If you want a GUI, you'll have to make one for yourself.

Since I had this lying around and it's already halfway what you want, I figured I'd share.

Attention: Slash Commands get ran through string.lower before they are registered with ESO. If you register a command /visitMe, it will be registered in LibSlashCommander and the AddOn and will be subject to AutoComplete, but ESO will tell you the command is invalid and only listen to /visitme.

Enjoy coding.
02/01/18, 09:58 PM   #9
ShadowHvo
Originally Posted by manavortex View Post
Hey there,
I have a similar AddOn for my guild's internal use. You can find it here.

Explanation: It doesn't add anything to the map - just slash commands, registered via sirinsidiator's LibSlashCommand.

There are two lists in the source code: Other peoples' homes, and your own homes. You add houses to either of the lists with the house ID as value. You can get this printed to chat by writing
Code:
/script GetHouseZoneId()
(or directly)
Code:
/script d(GetCurrentZoneHouseId())
in ESO.

The list "myHouses" gets parsed to /home .. /home<n>. You can add more entries by adding a numeric key and the house zone ID. The explanation visible will be the house's collectible nickname.

The list "otherPeoplesHouses" contains sub-dictionarys with either the account name or a character name as keys. I've left @marcopolo184 in as an example - the dude is awesome, he has every single set station in his house and has set it to be publicly accessible. I use it as a crafting hub.
In "houseIds", you can enter the text that's supposed to be displayed after the slash command. In "houseCommands", you enter the shortcut.

You can add more houses by expanding either of the lists.

If you are going to release this, please change the AddOn name. If you want a GUI, you'll have to make one for yourself.

Since I had this lying around and it's already halfway what you want, I figured I'd share.

Attention: Slash Commands get ran through string.lower before they are registered with ESO. If you register a command /visitMe, it will be registered in LibSlashCommander and the AddOn and will be subject to AutoComplete, but ESO will tell you the command is invalid and only listen to /visitme.

Enjoy coding.
Oh, that sounds amazing, thank you very much for sharing such a valueable asset! I'll try to learn from your example.

I will keep trying to create this addon now. Though I may return in case I realize, that my attemps become futile or that I cannot get it to work properly.
02/01/18, 10:22 PM   #10
Dolgubon

If you get stuck, you can also head to https://gitter.im/esoui/esoui, or even simply go there just to chat.
02/02/18, 01:51 AM   #11
manavortex

Yes, the gitter is the best place to find us. I've put this thread on watch, so I get notified if you post anything, but feel free to hit us up directly.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Help Requested! I want to create a Public Home Addon