04/19/17, 05:55 AM   #1
Nakor88
Lua Error Help and a bit of a rant.

So, looking for some help. I recently started getting an error whenever I refresh my UI or login a char for the 1st time. The error will be posted below. I don't really understand how to read them. Normally I would think it would spit out the name of the add one causing the error so I could turn it off. It had started though without me even having added any new ones I believe. Started before the event ended and is rather annoying.

On a ranty only semi related side note. Why does minion and most other mod managers not have an easy function to simply generate a list of the various mods/addons you use/have installed. I ask because I figure once this is read the thing I will be asked for is a list of the addons I use. I understand why but when it's a lot, it's quite a bit of typing and I find that annoying.

My problem is basically I don't know how to read these errors properly, so I can't fix it myself. The way I'd address the issue in the end is to start with what I can remember as the newest add ons and uncheck the boxes till I don't get the error. That is tedius and it could end up simply being one of the 1st addons I installed that got an update.

Anyways I've rambled and ranted and any help you can offer I say thank you. Here's the error:
user:/AddOns/UCT/UCT.lua:239: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
user:/AddOns/UCT/UCT.lua:239: in function 'UCT:UpdateDataLines'
user:/AddOns/UCT/UCT.lua:371: in function 'UCT:CreateListHolder'
user:/AddOns/UCT/UCT.lua:405: in function 'UCT:OnStart'
user:/AddOns/UCT/UCT.lua:496: in function 'UCT_Initialized'

Edit: So with a bit of coffee and having ranted and calmed down I fixed it myself. Well I figured out rather easily once I calmed down which one the error was for and simply un checked a box.....anyways in case someone else gets the same error and comes looking I'll link it. http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1...fferTimer.html Anyways, sorry and have a good one.

Last edited by Nakor88 : 04/19/17 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Fixed it myself.
04/19/17, 10:55 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It looks like the addon is using the character names of your account.
if you have renamed a char or deleted one it could fail.
You should contact the addon dev and tell him to use the unique character IDs instead of the name, so you are able to rename your characters and the ID is not changed
04/25/17, 12:09 AM   #3
manavortex

Also, whenever one of your AddOns starts giving you trouble, a good first step is to re-name the saved variable file to _AddOn.lua and create a new one
04/29/17, 07:57 PM   #4
fritzOSU03

Hey all, thanks for posting. I just finished up my spring classes so I'll take a look into this.

Last edited by fritzOSU03 : 04/29/17 at 08:04 PM.
05/01/17, 11:13 AM   #5
fritzOSU03

I've located the issue causing the lua error and it is directly related to creating or deleting a character. It's not necessarily a naming issue as much as it is a saved variables table issue. The problem is that the addon only creates the saved variables on the first startup for the app. I have a fix for this laid out which I plan to test this evening. This one is tough to test because I have neither a character I'd like to delete nor a slot for a new character. Anyone looking to delete a character and/or create a new one should feel free to contact me if you're interested in doing some testing.

On a side note, the addon has always used the unique character ID but it stores the character's name for displaying in the window.

Thanks again for pointing this out for me! It'll be fixed very soon.

Last edited by fritzOSU03 : 05/01/17 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Clarification.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Lua Error Help and a bit of a rant.