Quantcast ESOUI organisation at GitHub.com - ESOUI
Thread Tools Display Modes
01/26/16, 03:31 PM   #1
haggen
 
haggen's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 134
ESOUI organisation at GitHub.com

https://github.com/ESOUI

I took a lot of liberties, let me know if I crossed any boundary.

I created an organization called ESOUI at GitHub, there I created a repo with the source code of the game UI (the official one) and proceeded to invite a bunch of fellas of this forum I found at GitHub and also created a Gitter (chat room for the repository).

There we can talk in real-time about add-on development and whatnot. It's public and it's free.

Also you'll be able to see what changes in the UI code whenever we get a new patch.

The repository:
https://github.com/ESOUI/ESOUI

Gitter chat room:
https://gitter.im/ESOUI/ESOUI

Last edited by haggen : 01/26/16 at 04:16 PM.
  Reply With Quote
01/26/16, 03:58 PM   #2
Randactyl
 
Randactyl's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 253
+1
github integration means less for me to learn
__________________
Randactyl | NA Megaserver | Blood for the Pact!

My Addons
Check out my GitHub repos to follow my latest changes and see some addons before they are released.
  Reply With Quote
01/26/16, 06:04 PM   #3
Ayantir
 
Ayantir's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,022
I'm not fan of GitHub'ing / Bitbucket'ting ESOUI.
It's not our code, it's Zenimax one. We are not working on it, we use it *SOMETIMES*, and in some *very rare* ocasions we change it.

Then, we used tools that are borderline to get it and could be cut at any minor patch if they want to.
Plus sorry, but your initiative is already outdated. Your committed 3h ago 2.2.7, we are on 2.2.10

Then, http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1...ourcecode.html
__________________
Obsessive Compulsive Coder

My little french Guild: Cercle de l'Eveil
  Reply With Quote
01/26/16, 06:18 PM   #4
haggen
 
haggen's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 134
It's already available online and I had included a copyright note so if they're going to cut it they'd do that regardless.

Also I use it ALL THE TIME, actually I never write a line of code before checking if something similar is already in the official code.

There's no official documentation or guideline so the source is only thing we have.

About the version being outdated, nothing changed. :P

Last edited by haggen : 01/26/16 at 06:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
01/27/16, 02:30 AM   #5
Ravalox Darkshire
Ravalox of Lake Superior
 
Ravalox Darkshire's Avatar
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by haggen View Post
It's already available online and I had included a copyright note so if they're going to cut it they'd do that regardless.

Also I use it ALL THE TIME, actually I never write a line of code before checking if something similar is already in the official code.

There's no official documentation or guideline so the source is only thing we have.

About the version being outdated, nothing changed. :P
The difference here is that Github is intended for code sharing and development of that code. We don't own that code. Keeping the code in house under the ESOUI banner site allows us to keep control of that code's visibility to the wild (if ever ZOS or we would need to restrict it for any reason)

The only question really, is whether the existing ESOUI based interface to acess and search the ZOS source is lacking; and even then, since Cairenn and Dolby are revamping things, maybe bringing any shortcomings to them would be better than shifting to an external (to our community) site.

Of course this is my aspect, but Chip, Dolby or Cairenn may be better ones to speak to about this.
__________________
Are the ESO AddOns you're using Ravalox' Wykkyd AddOns?

Last edited by Ravalox Darkshire : 01/27/16 at 03:08 AM.
  Reply With Quote
01/27/16, 04:11 AM   #6
Randactyl
 
Randactyl's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 253
I see it as just another point to rally around. The readme can be updated so the purpose is a little more clear, but it already includes in no uncertain terms that this repo is presented for reference only and that if its existence ruffles the wrong feathers, we are happy to comply with any official requests to remove it.

Having the source there is convenient, but I don't believe it's existence is necessary for us to use chat. We could reduce the repo to a readme with useful links for all I care.

It's awesome that Cairenn and Dolby have plans to revamp this site, but that is not going to keep me from trying to be productive right now.

This was born out of (at least for me) a long-standing desire for a quicker turnaround in author communication and an impulse from this morning. The guild busted because we need our guild slots and the IRC channel has been dead seemingly since ESO 1.0. Maybe this won't work out either, but I don't see the harm in trying.
__________________
Randactyl | NA Megaserver | Blood for the Pact!

My Addons
Check out my GitHub repos to follow my latest changes and see some addons before they are released.
  Reply With Quote
01/27/16, 07:00 AM   #7
merlight
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 645
Originally Posted by Ravalox Darkshire View Post
The difference here is that Github is intended for code sharing and development of that code.
GitHub is also often used as a repository mirror.

Originally Posted by Ravalox Darkshire View Post
The only question really, is whether the existing ESOUI based interface to acess and search the ZOS source is lacking;
You mean UESP? That one is superior for code browsing since it cross-references stuff. Git is superior for viewing changes. I've used it locally for months. Having it on GitHub is then just a convenience for those who want a shortcut through unpacking/diffing the stuff, as long as it's kept up to date, git pull and you're good.
  Reply With Quote
01/27/16, 01:47 PM   #8
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling
 
Dolby's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,125
I have no problems with using github (I use it for many projects), the only issue would be if ZOS didn't want to allow this. Like many people said its nice and easy to see a diff when using github instead of having to download a zip and run your own diff. We can check into how ZOS feels about this as I can't speak for them (they may just say nothing for legal reasons).

We also don't have to use IRC, If gitter.im (limit is 25 ppl for free) works better or heck even Slack/Discord (I believe have unlimited free users) we can certainly do that. We are here to help the community. So if some remote tools help you guys please do use them and if there is anyway we can help by setting up organizations, integration, etc let us know.

I do want to add github integration (really any remote git repo) to our packager. Also want to work on automated packaging where an author can add a hook for an api endpoint on esoui and it will generate a release for mods to approve.

Last edited by Dolby : 01/27/16 at 02:08 PM.
  Reply With Quote
01/27/16, 04:35 PM   #9
haggen
 
haggen's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
I have no problems with using github (I use it for many projects), the only issue would be if ZOS didn't want to allow this. Like many people said its nice and easy to see a diff when using github instead of having to download a zip and run your own diff. We can check into how ZOS feels about this as I can't speak for them (they may just say nothing for legal reasons).

We also don't have to use IRC, If gitter.im (limit is 25 ppl for free) works better or heck even Slack/Discord (I believe have unlimited free users) we can certainly do that. We are here to help the community. So if some remote tools help you guys please do use them and if there is anyway we can help by setting up organizations, integration, etc let us know.

I do want to add github integration (really any remote git repo) to our packager. Also want to work on automated packaging where an author can add a hook for an api endpoint on esoui and it will generate a release for mods to approve.
Thank you very much Dolby, it's great to hear from you.

Yes I understand the ZOS position and that's why I went ahead and put the copyright notice in the repository. Also if they happen to say anything I'll comply with whatever their decision is.

Now I'm totally down for the GitHub hook integration, and I'm making myself available to help with it.

I wasn't aware of the user limit in Gitter, damn. My bad I should've check it first. Slack might be the best option after all.
  Reply With Quote
01/27/16, 05:50 PM   #10
merlight
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 645
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
I do want to add github integration (really any remote git repo) to our packager.
Related discussion from a while back, about excluding certain files from package: http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthre...hlight=archive
  Reply With Quote
01/27/16, 07:27 PM   #11
Torhal
Premium Member
Premium Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8
The IRC channel is dead because people left when they stopped developing for the game, or left because others did and the assumption was that it's dead. Saying "it's dead" without actually attempting to usher people back to it, and instead opting for a completely different version of essentially the same thing, seems pointless to me and will befall the same fate unless an effort is made to retain/obtain people.

Everyone I've seen say that IRC is dead is not currently sitting in the channel.
  Reply With Quote
01/28/16, 01:13 AM   #12
Sasky
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 241
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
I do want to add github integration (really any remote git repo) to our packager. Also want to work on automated packaging where an author can add a hook for an api endpoint on esoui and it will generate a release for mods to approve.
Using PubSubHubbub / release event looks like a pretty simple hook for it.

Also, it'd probably make it quicker to approve with an diff link available.
  Reply With Quote
01/28/16, 05:41 AM   #13
Ravalox Darkshire
Ravalox of Lake Superior
 
Ravalox Darkshire's Avatar
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
The IRC channel is dead because people left when they stopped developing for the game, or left because others did and the assumption was that it's dead. Saying "it's dead" without actually attempting to usher people back to it, and instead opting for a completely different version of essentially the same thing, seems pointless to me and will befall the same fate unless an effort is made to retain/obtain people.

Everyone I've seen say that IRC is dead is not currently sitting in the channel.
I agree with this; though I don't go to the IRC channel everyday, I have been there and have gotten a response when asking a question.

Mayhaps with the site updates, some kind of embedded HTTP IRC client or just a channel status in the developer area would help to spread the word of its existence.
__________________
Are the ESO AddOns you're using Ravalox' Wykkyd AddOns?
  Reply With Quote
01/28/16, 06:57 AM   #14
haggen
 
haggen's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
The IRC channel is dead because people left when they stopped developing for the game, or left because others did and the assumption was that it's dead. Saying "it's dead" without actually attempting to usher people back to it, and instead opting for a completely different version of essentially the same thing, seems pointless to me and will befall the same fate unless an effort is made to retain/obtain people.

Everyone I've seen say that IRC is dead is not currently sitting in the channel.
Personally I like Slack/Gitter better for they have markdown support, run in the browser and a pleasant interface. Anyway the Gitter room have been working nicely for 2 days now, give it a try.
  Reply With Quote
06/28/18, 02:21 AM   #15
Hydra9268
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by merlight View Post
GitHub is also often used as a repository mirror.
Apologies for digging up this thread, but I wanted to correct something here. While Github can be a repository, it's primarily used for version control.
  Reply With Quote

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » ESOUI organisation at GitHub.com

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off