09/20/14, 03:01 PM   #1
w33zl

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Problem right-aligning text

Hi, I seem to have a problem right-aligning text. Has anybody else experienced something similar? I really can't figure out what I've missed (probably some stupid minor detail I gues ). See example below (simplified):

Code:
<Label name="MyLabel" width="100" horizontalAlignment="RIGHT" text="My text" ... >

The text gets rendered but always left-aligned (even if I also run the code below).

Code:
MyLabel::SetHorizontalAlignment(RIGHT)
09/20/14, 05:21 PM   #2
Sasky
Try TEXT_ALIGN_RIGHT
09/20/14, 05:43 PM   #3
Garkin

Originally Posted by Sasky View Post
Try TEXT_ALIGN_RIGHT
In XML should be "RIGHT":
XML Code:
  1. <Label name="MyLabel" horizontalAlignment="RIGHT" />

In Lua should be TEXT_ALIGN_RIGHT:
Lua Code:
  1. MyLabel:SetHorizontalAlignment(TEXT_ALIGN_RIGHT)
09/21/14, 02:02 AM   #4
w33zl

Originally Posted by Garkin View Post
In XML should be "RIGHT":
XML Code:
  1. <Label name="MyLabel" horizontalAlignment="RIGHT" />

In Lua should be TEXT_ALIGN_RIGHT:
Lua Code:
  1. MyLabel:SetHorizontalAlignment(TEXT_ALIGN_RIGHT)
I tried both alternatives without success. However, it seems I might have even bigger problems. On another label I tried setting the wrapMode="ELLIPSIS" which doesn't work either. Could these two problems be correlated?

Trying to further debug this issue I set a backdrop with 1 unit wide border and now I see the label is exactly the width of the text, regardless of what is set in the width attribute. It seems like it auto-sizes, but I could not find any "auto size" attribute on the wiki. Any thoughts here? Might be worth mentioning I'm creating these controls from a template using CreateControlFromVirtual.
09/21/14, 04:43 AM   #5
Garkin

Originally Posted by w33zl View Post
I tried both alternatives without success. However, it seems I might have even bigger problems. On another label I tried setting the wrapMode="ELLIPSIS" which doesn't work either. Could these two problems be correlated?

Trying to further debug this issue I set a backdrop with 1 unit wide border and now I see the label is exactly the width of the text, regardless of what is set in the width attribute. It seems like it auto-sizes, but I could not find any "auto size" attribute on the wiki. Any thoughts here? Might be worth mentioning I'm creating these controls from a template using CreateControlFromVirtual.
Label does not have attribute "width" (as you have in your example), in XML you have to use <Dimensions x="???" y="???" />:
XML Code:
  1. <Label name="MyLabel" horizontalAlignment="RIGHT" text="My text" warpMode="ELLIPSIS">
  2.     <Dimensions x="100" />
  3. </Label>

In Lua you can set width directly:
Lua Code:
  1. MyLabel:SetWidth(100)

If you are creating labels from the template, your label will inherit all defined attributes. Make sure that template does not define dimension constraints and it doesn't resize to fit descendents, padding and whatever. The safest way is creating your own templates.
09/21/14, 06:43 AM   #6
w33zl

Originally Posted by Garkin View Post
Label does not have attribute "width" (as you have in your example), in XML you have to use <Dimensions x="???" y="???" />
Great! I was pretty sure I'd missed some tiny detail . This solved the issue. Thanks!

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Problem right-aligning text