08/28/16, 03:40 AM   #1
ettavolt
Exclamation Minion resets settings and unable to update some addons

Thanks for Minion.jar!
Though I still want source code, because:
  • it always resets settings found in ${user.home} (you can see different ga_user_id) in attached archive. For me it looks like I always have to choose what and where to scan.
  • Always proposes to update same set of addons after if I click 'update' for them. You can see this in r1.log and r2.log for 'Guild Events Improved' and 'Sous chef fix…'.
minion.log-settings.r1-r2.zip
Of course I tried to destroy settings manually and launch again, but this doesn't help.
08/28/16, 09:33 AM   #2
ettavolt
Ok, after several hours of decompiling and debugging I found that:

gg.minion.util.ConfigurationManager#xmlConfig lacks encoding set. Thus it writes configuration in windows-125X encoding and if system's locale is not en last-data-refresh value will not conform to UTF-8 when read back on next start. Just configure it xmlConfig.setEncoding("UTF-8"); and it's ok. I guess this affects all languages were months names use non-ASCII characters.
Though I'd prefer to see a JAXB-based implementation.

AddOns Librarian, SlightlyImprovedExperienceBar, SousChef, wykkydsOutfitter have version set on site, but not in TOC. Minion has no idea about version so it assumes last. It would be better to indicate something like 'no info' to hint user to manually reinstall.

AddOns SousChef and GuildEventsImproved have version mismatch between site and TOC. Minion autoupdates them, but TOC isn't change and on next data refresh Minion proposes update again.

Last edited by ettavolt : 08/28/16 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Highlight the biggest problem.
08/29/16, 08:27 AM   #3
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hi ettavolt,

Thank you for the detailed information. We are currently working on redoing the config management and even switching to json as well. I'll make sure our java programmer see's what you have uncovered with the encoding.

If there is a mis-match in toc/saved in config vs api Minion should update the AddOn. It doesn't re-check toc vs saved in config unless the detection data is reset though.

The last issue you brought up with the toc version vs api version, when Minion updates the AddOn it should update the version in the minion.conf and then it shouldn't re-updated it. I'm guessing because Minion is having trouble writing to your config its not doing that so then its re-downloading the addon again because the minion config wasn't updated with the latest version and file hash. So I would bet if we fixed the config issue this would be fixed for you.
08/30/16, 11:29 AM   #4
ettavolt
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
The last issue you brought up with the toc version vs api version, when Minion updates the AddOn it should update the version in the minion.conf and then it shouldn't re-updated it. I'm guessing because Minion is having trouble writing to your config its not doing that so then its re-downloading the addon again because the minion config wasn't updated with the latest version and file hash. So I would bet if we fixed the config issue this would be fixed for you.
Actually yes, when I manually 'fix' minion.xml it uses saved versions from config file and doesn't check TOCs.
So the real problem is encoding. Could you make a patch release for this before you refactor DOM-based configuration to POJO-based?
09/05/16, 10:07 AM   #5
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hi

We have gone ahead and fixed the encoding issue with the xml config (I hope). Testing it here seems to be ok but I was hoping you could test it before we release it live?

You can download a snapshot of the new client (3.0.5) here: https://cdn.mmoui.com/minion/v3/Mini...configtest.exe . You'll want to remove the invalid date line from the minion.xml config if you haven't already. Start up Minion and you'll be prompted to go back to Minion 3.0.4, just skip that 'Update Later' and continue on.

Last edited by Dolby : 09/05/16 at 10:10 AM.
09/05/16, 09:35 PM   #6
ettavolt
Works for ru_RU at least. Obviously it can't read badly encoded configuration of previous version, but doesn't break when writes new.
09/06/16, 09:37 AM   #7
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Thanks ettavolt,

I'll work on getting 3.0.5 released this week.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Minion resets settings and unable to update some addons