12/01/14, 04:51 PM   #1
stealthbr
HELP: Shinni's PinKiller causing crashes

Hello everyone!

One of my favorite ESO addons is PinKiller, by Shinni. This addon is absolutely fantastic, removing quest markers from the world, map, and compass, and it includes a plethora of customization options. Simply put, I can't play ESO without it, but unfortunately it is causing my game client to crash every time I use a wayshrine. I have determined PinKiller is the addon causing these crashes because I tested all of my addons separately.

Shinni has acknowledged the issue through the comment's section of this addon, stating: "I have experienced the same [issue]. When manipulating the game's floating pin settings too fast, the game can crash. After a teleport the game loads its default settings which are then overwritten by the addon. Sometimes that leads to a crash. I hope it's fixed now."

He tried to resolve it, and for a while the updates he made to the addon seemed to fix it. However, as of recently the crashes have resumed, and I have tried using earlier versions of the addon to no avail.

If anyone could analyze the addon and perhaps find out how to stop these crashes I would be very grateful.

Thanks!
12/02/14, 08:07 AM   #2
Shinni
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Some additional informations on the crashes, in case someone wants to try his luck:
PinKiller uses the API function SetFloatingMarkerInfo. Calling this function can lead to a crash, but it's pretty random. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
From my experience the first call (for each pin type) after a loading screen to the function works fine without crashes.
The default UI from ZO calls this function after each loading screen as well:
Lua Code:
  1. local function OnPlayerActivated()
  2.     SetFloatingMarkerInfo(MAP_PIN_TYPE_ASSISTED_QUEST_CONDITION, 32, "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_icon_assisted.dds", "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_icon_door_assisted.dds")
  3.     SetFloatingMarkerInfo(MAP_PIN_TYPE_ASSISTED_QUEST_OPTIONAL_CONDITION, 32, "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_icon_assisted.dds", "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_icon_door_assisted.dds")
  4.     SetFloatingMarkerInfo(MAP_PIN_TYPE_ASSISTED_QUEST_ENDING, 32, "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_icon_assisted.dds", "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_icon_door_assisted.dds")
  6.     SetFloatingMarkerInfo(MAP_PIN_TYPE_TRACKED_QUEST_CONDITION, 32, "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_icon.dds", "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_icon_door.dds")
  7.     SetFloatingMarkerInfo(MAP_PIN_TYPE_TRACKED_QUEST_OPTIONAL_CONDITION, 32, "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_icon.dds", "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_icon_door.dds")
  8.     SetFloatingMarkerInfo(MAP_PIN_TYPE_TRACKED_QUEST_ENDING, 32, "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_icon.dds", "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_icon_door.dds")
  10.     local PULSES = true
  11.     SetFloatingMarkerInfo(MAP_PIN_TYPE_QUEST_OFFER, 32, "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_available_icon.dds", "", PULSES)
  12. end
  14. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("ZO_FloatingMarkers", EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED, OnPlayerActivated)
  16. SetFloatingMarkerGlobalAlpha(0)

PinKiller tries to prevent additional calls to the function via:
Lua Code:
  1. local oldSetFloatingMarkerInfo = SetFloatingMarkerInfo
  2. SetFloatingMarkerInfo = function( ... ) end
  3. local SetFloatingMarkerInfo = oldSetFloatingMarkerInfo
This way only PinKiller can call the API function. And just like ZO's default UI, PinKiller calls SetFloatingMarkerInfo only via the EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED handler. I have no idea why the function leads to crashes, since it's called only once (for each pintype) and only after EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED just like without the addon.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » HELP: Shinni's PinKiller causing crashes