ESOUI

ESOUI (https://www.esoui.com/forums/index.php)
-   Released AddOns (https://www.esoui.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   Librarian (https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749)

Flamage 04/10/14 02:16 AM

Librarian

This thread is for any discussion, bug reports, request or suggestions for my newly-released addon - Librarian. Let me know what you think!

ilmarine 04/11/14 10:27 AM

This is by far my favourite addon :)

I have a few suggestions:

I think it should be account-wide. When I have read a book on one character I would only want to know about new books on others. This will also mean that the books that you read before installing the add-on on one character can be incorporated into a general library when other characters read them.

There should be a way to group books into categories or tag them, so that you can easily find the ones you want. Any library is only as good as the organized card catalogue :)

There could be some statistics. How many books you have total. How many pages, words. How many books out of all in the game (is this possible?). How many are notes, scrolls, books, etc.

Thanks again for a really great add-on!!!

Flamage 04/12/14 02:41 AM

There is a list of upcoming improvements on the addon's description page, and one of those is to include support for sharing books across characters. Another is to count how many books you have read in total.

Your suggestions on showing how many pages and words are in a book is a great one, I'll add it to the list. The categories one is interesting too, I'm not sure exactly what it would entail but I will definitely look into it. Thanks for your awesome feedback!

Rhynchelma 04/12/14 08:27 AM

If you are going to implement account wide recording, please consider making that as an option. Personally, I like it per character.

Flamage 04/12/14 08:02 PM

I've released a new version of the addon. It includes a new "Words" field which shows you the word count of each book.

As always, let me know if you discover any bugs with this new feature.

Dynamite7673 04/15/14 09:41 AM

I installed librarian well after I started and I stop to read everything. Is there a possibility to merge librarian.lua files with other players going anywhere similar to what is being done with the ESOhead.lua file?

Flamage 04/15/14 02:54 PM

There isn't any built-in way to share your books with a friend's library, but when you get the Eidetic Memory perk, I'll be able to re-import books your character has already read but that haven't yet been added to Librarian.

Flamage 04/16/14 03:34 PM

1.0.4 is out, which adds the much-requested feature of account-wide book sharing. Now you can read books you found on other characters, as well as skip re-reading a book you have already seen.

There were a lot of changed to the underlying data structures of the addon in this update. I spent extra time on this version playing it, and making sure that the upgrade should be seamless, but if you want to be extra safe, I'd recommend backing up the Librarian.lua file in your SavedVariables folder (this is where the actual book database is stored). If you have any issues once the addon has been updated, please zip up and attach that file to a reply in this thread, and I'll run it up myself to see what could be causing the problem

AstroCat 04/16/14 04:27 PM

Hmmm, I'm not seeing my account wide books on my characters, only their own discoveries. Selecting the option at the bottom doesn't seem to have an effect.

Is the new version retroactive with previous found books?

Thanks!

Flamage 04/16/14 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AstroCat (Post 4669)
Hmmm, I'm not seeing my account wide books on my characters, only their own discoveries. Selecting the option at the bottom doesn't seem to have an effect.

Is the new version retroactive with previous found books?

Thanks!

Good point, I should probably mention that each character's books get moved to the account-wide database when the addon starts, so initially you will need to log each character in once in order to populate the shared library.

AstroCat 04/16/14 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flamage (Post 4671)
Good point, I should probably mention that each character's books get moved to the account-wide database when the addon starts, so initially you will need to log each character in once in order to populate the shared library.

Got it, makes sense now. Thanks.

Flamage 04/16/14 11:19 PM

Quick bigfix release, 1.0.5. ThadOptimus kindly notified me that marking books as read / unread wasn't working properly, so I've pushed a fix while on a coffee break at work. Hopefully I didn't break anything!

There is a known issue with the keybind tooltip at the bottom of the screen, where it doesn't always show the status of the highlighted book. I didn't have a chance to fix that just now, so I'll push a fix for that in a few hours.

Flamage 04/17/14 07:06 AM

Another bugfix release has gone out - 1.0.6.

This fixes another small issue where the unread / read keybinding display was not always working correctly. It also adds a new alert message similar to a level up / lore book message, replacing the old chat alert when a new book is added to the library.

ilmarine 04/17/14 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

So i have the latest version of Librarian and about 250 books which means the books file is quite large. Every time I try to log out or quit the game the time it takes is either very long or my whole system freezes completely. When I remove Librarian addon, everything is quick and snappy. I have included my database for you to check out and test.

Vez 04/17/14 03:21 PM

Can you add an option to turn off the lore book/level up alert when a book is added to the library?

Flamage 04/17/14 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilmarine (Post 4744)
Hi,

So i have the latest version of Librarian and about 250 books which means the books file is quite large. Every time I try to log out or quit the game the time it takes is either very long or my whole system freezes completely. When I remove Librarian addon, everything is quick and snappy. I have included my database for you to check out and test.

I was worried that this might become an issue as libraries get larger. The fact that the game needs to load and save the entire library at game login/logout isn't very efficient. I'll begin looking into methods of making this process faster, but any gains in that area may be hard-earned, so for the moment, you'll just have to bear with me. Sorry about that :(. I might be able to defer loading of the saved variables until after the login process has completed, but if that causes the game to freeze once you have loaded in that's arguably worse than having a longer loading time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vez (Post 4769)
Can you add an option to turn off the lore book/level up alert when a book is added to the library?

I knew someone wouldn't like the new alert :) Sure, I'll add in an option to toggle between the new alert and the old method that just logged something to chat.

Vez 04/17/14 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flamage (Post 4782)
I knew someone wouldn't like the new alert :) Sure, I'll add in an option to toggle between the new alert and the old method that just logged something to chat.

Awesome! Thank you!

ilmarine 04/18/14 03:28 AM

The problem isn't so much with loading (although that will also become an issue), but rather with the saving. I noticed that lua database is only created once you logout or quit which means that a lot of writing has to be done at that one time. This is also the moment that freezes my system (I suspect it is due to the fact that your addon is still writing and telling that the game cannot close while the game itself is saying that it has to close, or sth). Couldn't the writing be done at the time of discovery?

Where does the game keep it's own book data? How do you get information from the game that the character is reading a book? The game probably tells its own internal database that a book with thisandthis id should be displayed. Couldn't you store that id and use the games own database to display books? This way you wouldn't have to store the text. Or at least not load it constantly.

Flamage 04/18/14 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilmarine (Post 4816)
The problem isn't so much with loading (although that will also become an issue), but rather with the saving. I noticed that lua database is only created once you logout or quit which means that a lot of writing has to be done at that one time. This is also the moment that freezes my system (I suspect it is due to the fact that your addon is still writing and telling that the game cannot close while the game itself is saying that it has to close, or sth). Couldn't the writing be done at the time of discovery?

Where does the game keep it's own book data? How do you get information from the game that the character is reading a book? The game probably tells its own internal database that a book with thisandthis id should be displayed. Couldn't you store that id and use the games own database to display books? This way you wouldn't have to store the text. Or at least not load it constantly.

The game only allows an addon to say that a particular LUA table should be persisted between sessions, so there is no way to trigger saving of data manually. As for retrieving book data from the game itself, the API that the game exposes to addons (including the default book reading UI) only provides data for books that the current character has found. For all others, it returns an empty title and body. Once a character gets the eidetic memory perk it would be entirely possible for me to remove the database completely, but then the cross-character book reading ability would be lost, which is something a lot of users have requested.

Unfortunately, I don't have a character nearly high enough to unlock Eidetic Memory, but when I do I will probably work on making the cross-character database optionally able to be removed once the character gets the Eidetic Memory perk. You would lose some features but the load time of the addon would become almost nothing.

In the meantime, I still have some ideas about compressing the data or aggregating it into a smaller number of records which may reduce the loading / saving speed enough that none of this is an issue any more.

Flamage 04/20/14 10:11 PM

1.0.7 is out, it adds the much-requested option to select what type of alert to show when a new book is found. The options are None, chat-only, banner-only and both.