ESOUI

ESOUI (https://www.esoui.com/forums/index.php)
-   Minion (https://www.esoui.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   Minion won't start (https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8119)

iKhriz 10/22/18 07:43 PM

Minion won't start

My minion won't start.
It's installing to the appdata/local/minion folder by default.
.minion doesn't exist in my %userprofile%, so there's no log or xml file.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, installing the 32bit version, starting it as an admin and allowing the minion.exe in Windows Defender, still nothing.
All it does is momentarily show the blue loading circle and then nothing. It doesn't show up in my task manager at all, or in the system tray.
I'm running Windows 10, fully updated.

Plz send help.

Baertram 10/24/18 02:32 AM

Sounds like the java engine is not able to do anything at all.
Maybe check if any java update is available for your system.

Is your windows username containing non-latin characters? Minion is not working with this! Please install it elsewhere and/pr change your windows username to only use latin characters.

Enemy9991 12/08/18 12:19 PM

Same problem here, minion wont start under any circumstances... downloaded both versions, changed my user name, changed the installation folder, updated java and way more... Win 7. Any solutions? :D otherwise my fate is to update 20+ addons manually

marlonbrando 12/15/18 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enemy9991 (Post 36604)
Same problem here, minion wont start under any circumstances... downloaded both versions, changed my user name, changed the installation folder, updated java and way more... Win 7. Any solutions? :D otherwise my fate is to update 20+ addons manually

Is the symptom that you click on Minion and nothing seems to happen? If so, is there an icon on your
bottom bar? If there is then I've found that selecting that icon, hitting <alt><space>, selecting
"move" from the menu, hitting the right arrow a few times and then moving the mouse brings the window,
on screen from the left.

I don't know if this is just something unique to my installation but I wanted to mention it regardless.

Enemy9991 12/22/18 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlonbrando (Post 36644)
Is the symptom that you click on Minion and nothing seems to happen? If so, is there an icon on your
bottom bar? If there is then I've found that selecting that icon, hitting <alt><space>, selecting
"move" from the menu, hitting the right arrow a few times and then moving the mouse brings the window,
on screen from the left.

I don't know if this is just something unique to my installation but I wanted to mention it regardless.

Nope, no icon anywhere... the only thing you can do is to kill minion through the task manager and that doesnt fix the problem. The process itself uses 0 % of RAM, HDD etc... it seems like something is blocking it or I dunno, but my antivirus seems to be okey with minion and all of my other software dont have such possibilities. There is also a problem with "sound mixer" but I cant fix it as it appears again and again after recommended repair, can it be the problem? I found out that it only shows the error message so I dont really know if it can block minion.

EDIT: Yes, the symptom is that after the execution nothing happens =P

Baertram 12/22/18 10:28 AM

Send us your Minion.log file then.
Or check it yourself. In there you can see "how far" Minion gets. Normally, as you do not see anything, an antivirus or a firewall is blocking the contact to the Minion server. Or you are using a proxy server which is not defined properly.

RossT 01/16/19 08:33 AM

This worked for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlonbrando (Post 36644)
on screen from the left.

Thanks, that worked! :cool:

CatOfTheCanals 02/04/19 03:38 PM

I'm having a similar issue. Although I do get a log file. The xml file is missing though. And the only lines in the log are.

Code:

INFO  2019-02-04 21:27:57,942 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:start(43): Attempting to start Minion...
I did everything found in the other forums, updated java etc. Stumped

Baertram 02/05/19 04:05 AM

If Minion is not starting:

-Use the 32bit version on a 64bit OS
-Start it as administartor
-Your windows username should not contain non-latin characters
-Allow Minion in your antivirus so it is able to write to the c:\users\windows user name\appData folders

Enemy9991 02/06/19 01:48 PM

Well, although I couldnt find the log file, I am almost sure It ll be same as CatOfTheCanals' log is. It is allowed in my antivirus, I have 32bit version installed, my win username doesnt contain any special or non-latin characters, I am starting it as an administrator, my Java is updated and still It doesnt work. Cant do much more to make it launch... I guess the Minion itself is badly made and It should run on any PC without some hardcore computer knowledge, as it is only updating addons...

Baertram 02/07/19 12:41 PM

Well, simply wrong guess :-)
Software is not always compatible as the devs do not know your rig, your isp, your anti-virus and other installed applications. Maybe it's a virus or malware on your pc. Maybe it's a Java bug occurring with your hardware. There are 1000060580 things to consider which devs are not able to check or prevent. But you cannot blame the software then, to be fair.

Did you search for Minion.log in c:/users/windows user name/app data subfolder .minion? You need to enable to show system dirs in your folder settings (win explorer) but the windows search should find it as well. If there is no Minion.log file then Minion got no write access to your hard drive as it seems, which could have several reasons again.

Enemy9991 03/08/19 12:33 PM

I know how many problems a program can make and how hard it is to make it work, although ain't the first priority of any programmer to make his program work on every computer? Of course, I am not blaming them for my problems with minion, but I really want to live in a world where if I ask for an assistence I get a reply from anyone who is responsible for their product in any form that'll eventually help me... considering you are the only good soul helping us here the devs don't even care for us, thus they are probably tired of programming / too lazy to make it work for everyone. Although what I want collides with what they want and it may seem too banal, but of course I am not a hypocrite and if I would be a dev, I would never allow anyone to think that my program is useless (By repairing / improving it), yet now I currently cannot say anything else as the program doesnt even run on my PC :-)

Although thanks for your support, I suppose this thread is closed... I gave up a long time ago.

Baertram 03/09/19 10:26 AM

Well, your idea why they are not responding here is not the reason. The only reason is: real life and time.
You always must keep in mind that the software here, either addons or other piece of code, is not sold and thus the support is done whenever the time fits.

Lucifer66 04/29/19 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baertram (Post 37024)
If Minion is not starting:

-Use the 32bit version on a 64bit OS
-Start it as administartor
-Your windows username should not contain non-latin characters
-Allow Minion in your antivirus so it is able to write to the c:\users\windows user name\appData folders

Please explain what you mean by "Non-Latin Characters" I don't speak Latin, got no clue how to make Latin characters, not gonna change my windows username to latin anyways so why the hell didn't the guy that made this thing use English, you know the most common language on Earth

Kyoma 04/29/19 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucifer66 (Post 37923)
Please explain what you mean by "Non-Latin Characters" I don't speak Latin, got no clue how to make Latin characters, not gonna change my windows username to latin anyways so why the hell didn't the guy that made this thing use English, you know the most common language on Earth

This is wrong in so many ways I can't even begin to correct it.... :rolleyes:

Lucifer66 04/29/19 01:37 PM

How so? You want me to change my windows user name and you won't explain why? Your program doesn't uninstall when I go to uninstall it either. Sounds more like malware to me so how about an explanation buddy instead of some BS condescending comment?

Or are you just gonna ban me for asking questions about your program? Everyone is having problems getting this thing to work and your fixes are not even making any sense, so excuse me if I sound rude but I'd like to know what is going on here. This comment;

"This is wrong in so many ways I can't even begin to correct it.... "

Is an insult, so yeah, you should explain.

sirinsidiator 04/29/19 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucifer66 (Post 37928)
How so? You want me to change my windows user name and you won't explain why? Your program doesn't uninstall when I go to uninstall it either. Sounds more like malware to me so how about an explanation buddy instead of some BS condescending comment?

And your comments are not condescending or BS? You should really start to think before commenting. :rolleyes:

Klingo 04/29/19 01:47 PM

What you are writing with here, these are latin characters.
Examples for non-latin characters are: chinese, cyrillic, or hebrew letters (and many more).

So if your windows user-name consists of e.g. chinese letters, then this could be one reason why Minion is not working.

Lucifer66 04/29/19 01:56 PM

Not condescending, sarcasm, a joke showing how ridiculous it is to make someone change their username to Latin characters. Sorry you didn't get that, I guess it was over your head.

But I'd still like to know why you feel it a necessity to make people change their windows username and why the program won't uninstall itself from my computer unless i do it manually. Having me change my username to unusual characters sound like a way to use another program to gain access to files on my computer. Intalling to muliple directories and not uninstalling is a red flag like it's malware. So if this is not malware then please, explain why this program does all of this.

Anti malware programs like SpyBot and other will classify programs that do not un-install with the windows installer as malware.

Klingo 04/29/19 02:04 PM

Please read my post above that will explain what exactly latin characters are. It seems that there is still a misunderstanding on that topic.

Furthermore, if you are not happy with the restrictions/pre-conditions of a software (such as Minion), then just don't use it. No one is forcing you to download, install or use Minion.