View Single Post
04/16/14, 04:38 PM   #17
Vanation
Well after this talk I figured it out myself (since I work with networks) and I will tell you what you need to do to fix the issue outside of a new version update and what will be needed in future patches to minion.

The problem is formed before the program even hits your firewall for permission. The cause for the issue is a program that monitors the Winsock protocol for windows conflicting with the minion software. These programs usually use a Layered Service Provider (LSP) that can help identify the particular program installed.

To find the LSP:

1. Download autoruns for windows from Microsoft.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb963902 edit was a better link
2. unzip the autoruns.zip
3. run the autoruns.exe file
4. click on the tab that says winsock providers
5. A list should appear. A column showing the publisher should be available.
6. Check with the publishers for updates to resolve the conflict between their software and minion.
7. Some programs may just have to be removed if you wish to run minion in its current form

I sent this out to guildies and so far the programs (that they came back to me with) that can not be updated and work with minion so far are:
pc tools/ spyware doctor
trend micro
xfire
megaupload
panda antivirus
and some versions of Bigfoot Networks/ Killer gaming
(mine was almost the last 1 but my card was new enough that there was a workable update that was compatible with minion)

For a developer solution you will need to change the ports that minion accesses to avoid common heavy use ports that other programs may use. This will avoid those winsock protocol conflicts from appearing.

Last edited by Vanation : 04/16/14 at 10:28 PM.