View Single Post
10/07/23, 01:32 AM   #10
dan_el2
Originally Posted by Sootica View Post
I have the same problems described here and using the above methods launching via java did not work...
I'd try cleaning out all Java/JDK/JRE installations, removing Minion, and also renaming your "~/.minion" directory to something like "~/.minion.bak" so you have a clean starting point. Then reinstall everything as described. I have outlined the steps in more detail below and also ran through all the steps myself again.

My device: M1 Pro MacBook running macOS 14.0

The steps:
  1. Delete "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin"
  2. Delete Contents of "/Library/Java/Extensions" and "/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines"
  3. Rename "/Users/<USERNAME>/.minion" to "/Users/<USERNAME>/.minion.bak" (you will have to make hidden folders visible in Finder first: CMD+Shift+.)
  4. Delete "/Applications/Minion.app"
  5. Download and install the latest version of Minion for macOS (NOTE: I did NOT download the Java version!)
    -->https://minion.mmoui.com/?download
  6. Download and install JRE (Get the "macOS ARM64" version if you are on Apple Silicon like me)
    -->This will install JRE to "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin"
    -->https://www.java.com/download/manual.jsp (Java 8 Update 381 at the time of writing)
  7. Set JAVA_HOME in Terminal:
    Code:
    export JAVA_HOME='/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home'
  8. Running "java -version" in Terminal should look like this now:
    Code:
    redacted@Random-MBP ~ % java -version
    java version "1.8.0_381"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_381-b09)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.381-b09, mixed mode)
  9. Now run Minion from Terminal using Java for the first time:
    Code:
    java -jar /Applications/Minion.app/Contents/Java/Minion-jfx.jar
  10. On first launch it will ask you to update. Click on the button "Update Now! (Restart)"
  11. Minion will attempt to relaunch itself after the update NOT using the Java method causing a pop-up to appear saying that the app cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. Click on the button "Cancel" and ignore the message.
  12. Run Minion from Terminal using Java again:
    Code:
    java -jar /Applications/Minion.app/Contents/Java/Minion-jfx.jar
  13. Select games (only ESO for me) and volumes to scan (only "/Volumes/Macintosh HD" for me)
  14. Answer any "Terminal wants to access XYZ" messages with "OK".
  15. Tell Minion where your addon folder is ("/Users/<USERNAME>/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns/" for me)
  16. At this point I had to relaunch Minion (using Java) again because it would not display my addons at first. After relaunching it everything worked as expected. If you see your game twice in Minion (like I did) simply remove one.

If Minion won't run on your machine after following the steps above then you can still attach your minion.log file here. Otherwise I am at a loss. Hope this helps.