Thread: Addon Etiquette
View Single Post
04/25/14, 02:08 PM   #50
Joviex

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Vicster0 View Post
Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like the "standard" you are looking for here is something that has been historically sought after in the coding world for some time...

I think the issue you are highlighting here is less of an ESO UI Modification Standardization issue and more of a global code formatting issue. In my line of work, I regularly switch between Windows, Linux, and MacOS(yes, just still Linux, I know) systems, transferring files between them all many many times just in a single day. The CR+LF or LF only is something I need to be cognizant of at all times. I feel your pain, but I don't think it's a battle that needs to be fought here.
Sounds like you need a better system =) We use all 3 platforms as well, daily, and auto-translates happen when people push Xcode up or push from VS. That is more a tooling problem -- automation.

This is ultimately why I backed off the thread. Whitespace is a standard, as is any form of code formatting. Semicolons, line breaks after { }, how many indents for a tab, etc...

And while I love XKCD, it only applies outside your studio. For my studio, and the 20 engineers I supervise, they adhere to S&P for code, commits, design documentation, sizzle work, code analysis, requirement analysis, etc...

The point is: It is fully controllable in a controllable environment.

Here, obviously not +)

The ONE thing I think we can all agree upon: Global space should be "clean" so no one is stepping on someone else.

Otherwise, yes, if you want to use LF and 8 spaces for a single tab, kudos.

If you source is open, and sharable, it will just mean that when I integrate it, I will adhere it to my standards, which will cause me local problems on any updates/merges from subsequent updates you push in the future, that I want to incorporate.

That is also, simply, a local cost benefit analysis on whether someone wants to spend that time resource because it outweighs the benefit.

Thus, my long winded post, longer, I am advocating more for "MODULARITY" and libraries.

At least with a good library, code has the potential to have a larger group work on it, with a set standard, that you can expect, versus, picking through 5x iterations of the same idea, all with a different layout and verbiage.