View Single Post
08/11/20, 01:04 AM   #1
TagCdog
[Utility] SavedVariables Manager

Hi All,

This may or may not be a good idea, so I wanted to present it and see.

In my limited experience, cleaning up SavedVariables can make all the difference in game performance, addon issues/bugs, etc...

Stating the obvious here but Addons use SavedVariables in at least two major ways:
1) To store its configuration/settings.
2) To store collected data like items in your inventory/bank, price data, logs, character data, sales, node locations, etc...

I assume that the collected data is what most often overwhelms the game (if it gets to be too much) and/or gets corrupted. The addon configuration/settings most likely stays static. I will make the assumption that it is beyond most users to know which SavedVariables to keep or delete, and in a lot of cases deleting them requires you to reconfigure that particular addon's settings.

Knowing the above I present the following questions:

A) Is it possible and reasonable for addon authors to split their addon's SavedVariables files into Configuration/Settings.lua and CollectedData.lua?
B) Regardless of the answer above, would it be beneficial to have a utility that regularly manages/cleans/purges saved variables?
- Purges some SavedVariables that get to big and/or too old per the user's specifications.
- Only deletes the so-called CollectedData.lua files and not the so-called Configuration/Settings.lua.
- Purges SavedVariables of addons that are no longer installed.
- [Advanced scope] keeps the so-called CollectedData.lua files of known addons but selectively purges older data within per the user's specifications.
C) Minion already does this, but the utility could also make backups of SavedVariables.

There are some addons where the user generally would not want to delete their addon’s Configuration/Settings. AlphaGear 2 for example.

Thoughts?