View Single Post
09/29/19, 02:11 PM   #13
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Rhyono View Post
"Ridiculous" is extreme. You are very new to the ESO add-on scene so you have yet to see the heavy turnover in authors. There are many factors that go into it, but among them is that it is time consuming and not rewarding.

Many start off because they see something that is lacking and they want to add it for themselves. Then, they share it for free. From there, it's all bug reports and feature requests. Maybe one in a thousand users will at some point say "thank you" but that eventually isn't enough to want to continue.

No one else was offering to work on it and I doubt he was going to use it much himself, so he was offering a viable means of you getting what you want if you wanted it that badly.

Many of us are professional programmers and to nearly imply our time isn't valuable just because we do some things for free is slighting.
I would say calling it "ridiculous" is "extreme". I think you coming to the conclusion that I think other people's time isn't valuable is "extreme". That's completely untrue. That's not how I feel, at all.

I never said your time (or anyone's time) wasn't valuable.
But your time is just as valuable as mine.

If I'm willing to pay someone to make an addon, I'd rather just save the money to spend on something else and learn how to do it myself. I offered what I could for compensation, but was told it wasn't "meaningful" enough. That's their opinion and they're free to feel that way. Just like I'm free to say, "Well, that's all I'm going to offer. Bye, then."
At least I offered anything at all and didn't just laugh in their face.
I understand that everyone has their own lives, their own jobs, their own hobbies, etc etc etc. And I'm very very understanding of that.

But, in my opinion... it's fair to give someone some pixels (gold) in return for the modified pixels (addon).
Especially when even a simple "thank you" is hard to come by. (That's what you said, right?)
If that doesn't suffice... then oh well! If the addon author gives up and stops updating or whatever... then so be it. <*Shrug*>

When I come up with addon requests and such, I take into consideration how many other people may enjoy the request, too. I do my best to never make a request I feel only *I* would really benefit from. Because that doesn't feel fair. So i also try to explain in detail why I'm making the request. Even sometimes try to make a pros and cons list of some requests, to play the devil's advocate (see both sides of it).
I even tell authors to not even worry about it, if I feel like they think it would be something difficult to accomplish/implement. I try to be very understanding about these things. I try to stay polite, and let them know I appreciate them even considering my request.

If no one wants my gold or wants to do it just because they're awesome, then that's okay, too. Like I said, I'm not going to try to pressure or force anyone into doing anything.

Also, even though it shouldn't matter... But because some addon authors seem to be very haughty and elitist on ESOUI... With all due respect to everyone (Just being honest!)... I've made addons/mods for other Bethesda games. Whoopty-do. Hurrah hurrah. Whatever.
Just because I haven't authored anything for ESO doesn't mean I'm some whiney, needy, selfish, entitled user. I've seen those kind of people. They suck.
I just haven't learned the coding/API stuff. Yet. I know what it's like to be an addon author, and I always try to keep in mind how annoying users can be, and I really try not to be that kind of person.

But thank you for your point of view.

Let's try to keep this post on topic from now on though, please.
This forum topic is about looking for an author to take over NPCMuter.

Last edited by NeuroticPixels : 09/29/19 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Felt the need to add that I've created mods before. Some authors here seem to act like you're a piece of trash otherwise.