View Single Post
01/24/21, 08:47 AM   #13
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by marlonbrando View Post
Can I ask which guild this is?

I've played around with using guild notes to store player position in an addon and putting a "eye" icon over another non-grouped player. I found that if I updated the guild note more frequently than once every ten seconds I got kicked. It did work though, although, obviously, unless the other player stayed still for 10 seconds it wasn't really precise.

I thought about adding this functionality to Piece of Candyl but given how laggy it is, I wasn't sure it was worth it. I also wasn't sure that ZOS wouldn't nerf or remove the functionality if guild notes were used for this purpose. Also, it seems like this mechanism could be abused by bad actors who join the guild just to see where people are.
Thanks for the info about the 10 seconds, and definately this is the same worries me (and others) had. APIs go nerfed already in the past because of some ppl abusing the functionality to get advanntages. Addons are not designed to onyl provide a benefit to some but to all. Either this guy should release it to public and risk getting into problems with it, or they should stop using it and especially stop getting an advantage compared to others. They risk that Zos will disable all addons in PVP areas, which imo would be okay, but I doubt all will feel like I do about it.