View Single Post
04/22/14, 06:25 PM   #1
JTFinnegan
Question about code borrowing.

I want to get back into coding, I used to do it as a hobby, but its been a while. I also have never coded for others, its was always for myself. So I find a have a few questions about the ethics of coding in an open environment like this.

To make it a more concrete, I am thinking of making a addon that will start off similar to Piggybank but with more control of how the money goes in and out. After I get that part working, I plan to add features similar to Mules Managment and Bank Stuffer. I have used 2 of the 3, and they work pretty well, but I feel that since they all work with the bank, they should all be in one addon. Also it lets me get some coding practice in.

Now I could just grab a copy of Piggybank, and change some of the code in it, but I'm sure that would be considered wrong. So I'll be writing the central code for it myself. But for example, in Piggybank, there is a section of code for setting up the setting menu. Is it considered bad form to borrow that code, and the expected thing is to start from the base code library and figure out everything oneself.

What is the consensus on this? Any legal or ethical considerations that await to trip up a newbie?