View Single Post
04/24/14, 11:36 AM   #18
Saucy

Originally Posted by Joviex View Post
Nope =) I think we are both on the same page.

Everything in an all-in-one == bad
Focus on making a tool perform a specific goal. 1 to 1.

My over-reaching is about making that 1 to 1 tool more "open" so it is highly pluggable into other areas for reuse.
When it came to addons in WoW, All-In-One addons was the one thing I couldn't stand. Modularity is king.

I often download people's addons; not so I would copy their code, but look at how they have structured the code. Tips on how the Lua syntax works and how they often solve "simple" problems (simple as toggle settings in SavedVariables file).
It's rather silly I know, but I look at how people indent (if they use space or tabs), use semicolons at the end. I look if they have any documentation in their code (big shoutout to alfpogs for SimpleClock, awesome documentation!).

I'm currently building a "core" that will handle the modules I create (which each will have it's own localization, slash commands, keybindings, etc). I am by no means a super-programmer, I mostly only code for fun in the hopes of learning more as I go.

As a person, I might be rather silly. But when it comes to learning more about programming I am very serious.

Sorry if I derailed the topic a bit.