View Single Post
06/20/14, 02:26 AM   #1
AlexandraD
[BUG] Minion extremely slow or hangs if addon folder is on a network drive

Hi,

as many others have done, I have moved my "Documents" folder from my SSD drive elsewhere, in my case a network drive.

Minion stopped doing anything initially. So I deleted the ESO game inside minion and set it up again.

Now the .minion folder is under c:\users\<username>\.minion instead of c:\users\<username>\Documents\.minion.
The ESO addons are now under Z:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\liveeu\AddOns

However the path in minion.xml still points to the old location. After manually changing that, it did load, albeit extremely slowly (about 5 minutes to start)!
The network drive is NOT slow however, it is a fast NAS on a gigabit Ethernet and no other program has any problems (I normally get between 20-40 MBytes per second transfer rate).

At this point, after 5 minutes of "detecting" my addons, minion is up. However it shows no updates (which is probably not correct).

I quit minion, the UI disappears but the process keeps running in the background!

I kill the process and restart minion. In "Options" I see the path is still incorrect. I click "Path" and now it really gets interesting, after about 60 seconds it displays the contents of the network directory. But it doesn't display the "Documents" folder (which is there) instead it shows a "<Username>" folder which is not!!! I use that path and find the addons folder in this virtual path. I expect this is because of the windows virtual home path or something?

I quit minion and this time the process stops too.

In spite of some further fiddling I could not get it to work a an acceptable speed. Startup is about 5 minutes. I expect this is caused by constant timeouts or something.

I am running minion on Windows 8.1 64 bit latest patches.
Attached Files
File Type: xml minion.xml (27.3 KB, 458 views)
File Type: log minion0.log (340.0 KB, 408 views)

Last edited by AlexandraD : 06/22/14 at 02:44 AM. Reason: corrected spelling errors