View Single Post
12/29/20, 04:42 PM   #10
DewiMorgan

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Could it gather and share usage data that HM does NOT provide?

For example: I'm interested in making an addon that modifies maps to show where cliffs are. Putting their locations in the map is easy enough manually, but heights are another issue. Crowdsourcing the falling damage taken (before armor etc) would give an idea of how high the cliffs are in a way that's maybe more useful to map readers than knowing how many feet high a cliff is. As well as just making for a very amusing heatmap of where people most often yeet off cliffs.

Another example: I've written an addon which needs a translated whitelist of searchable items. I was considering crowdsourcing so that any item people hit E to use, which wasn't already in my addon, would save its location and name in various languages. We could very rapidly build an item-translation database that way. Perhaps even more importantly, we could find cases where items are inconsistently translated (where eg two items, one metal and one wood, both called "barrel" in English, get called "barrel" and "drum" in some other language). This would not easily be found by devs otherwise.

I'm sure there are plenty of other crowdsourceable data types that would be super useful to devs; while the answers here seem negative, might that just be that for your first API release, you happen to have selected the very few data types that turn out to already be well-tracked and crowdsourced already?