Thread: Minion wont run
View Single Post
05/28/22, 10:53 AM   #9
himbeerschaf
Originally Posted by wookiefriseur View Post
Did it work before? If so, then what happened/changed?
It did, with this windows installation. Good question, though. Unfortunately I took a break in playing ESO, and it's been a very, very long time since I last used Minion (never uninstalled). I changed a lot in the meantime, no chance to pinpoint when exactly it started to cause trouble.

If it is a fresh install: Just reinstall Windows. Usually not worth the bother to pinpoint such a problem.

Some pointers for more advanced users (which is the case here):

If you REALLY want to invest the time and find out what happens and why, I would look at the network communication of Minion first (for instance with Wireshark):
I do! Wireshark is an excellent idea, I never thought in that direction. Thank you!

• are you using a hardware firewall? check the rulesets and logs, try to connect your Minion PC through your phone internet instead of your home network
  • has the Windows installation been modified in some way? (disabled services, split user accounts, enabled/disabled features, utf8, not activated)
  • is your PC clock set to the correct time and date?
  • are there other JAVA installations and global environment settings conflicting with the Minion JVM?
  • does this also happen with a newly created Windows user? (new local admin account)
  • check network card packet sizes and settings, try a different network card or connection if possible

There's a couple of points in there that I'll have to forward to my better half, he did the setups and I admit I'm stumped :'D

Thank you so much for your reply, that is a lot of information in there. <3
And you spent a lot of time with my problem, I'm really grateful

I will def. check all the points you mentioned, just the reinstalling windows is not a possibility atm, I'm working from home (translator) and my software is super icky when it goes to reinstalling (licenses n stuff always act up). But I'll set a weekend aside for a format C if everything else fails.
Will be my last resort (even though, let's be honest, it might fix everything wrong with this machine).

I do suspect that something went with my windows updates at one point; I just found out that I'm having network connection errors when trying to boot up the windows store, so that's a lead, I guess.
I'll try to fix that problem first, then I'll return to your suggestions.

Will update once that's done

Thank you!