View Single Post
04/01/19, 02:44 PM   #8
Greevir

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
What normally is the idea of libraries. Windows dll files e.g. are located in the system32 folder so every other programm can use them as well.
There are some circumstances where locally added dll files in the programs folder, or even included into the exe file, make sense as well.

But I can't think of any ESO addon where this might be needed.
They were "bundled" with the addon (as subfolders) in order to make it easy for the user to update the whole addon (including needed files like libraries). But as described on several threads this will lead to outdated subfolder files, total size of folders unneccessarily big and on top too much time to for the author to update ALL addons depending on a library, if a library changes.
The updates for authors contain version increasing in txt and lua files, download the library, out it in the subfolders, check that files are correct, rebundle it as zip file, upload at esoui etc.
One addon takes about 3-5minutes. Now think of having 10 addons using this lib.

A good example is libAddonMenu-2.0 or LibStub. It is used by about 90% of the addons. A simple update for the standalone lib: 1 Minion click for the user. Nothing to do for the authors (except the ones updating the library).
An update for all addons where it is bundled: 1 Minion click for the user. But some hours work for the authors who have the lib included in their addons's subfolders...

We could easily use this time to play the game we like or really improve the addons, instead of doing this non-sense (imo).
I just wish that when I install an addon via Minion, it would also automatically install any mandatory libraries as well. Many times have I installed an addon, started the game, tried to use the addon, and get a "so and so library is missing" message.