View Single Post
04/02/19, 12:28 PM   #10
Pinion
Originally Posted by Rhyono View Post
ZOS natively set it up to only load one instance (was not always the case). Let's say an addon uses 5 libs: before, this meant every time one of them was updated, the whole addon needed updated. Now, you just download the updated lib and all X addons you have that use it don't need to be updated.
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
What normally is the idea of libraries. Windows dll files e.g. are located in the system32 folder so every other programm can use them as well. A good example is libAddonMenu-2.0 or LibStub. It is used by about 90% of the addons. We could easily use this time to play the game we like or really improve the addons, instead of doing this non-sense (imo).
Ah, I got it now! And a good comparison with the system32 folder also. The way it is now makes much more sense so silly question, why didn't they make it this way from the start?! And did you all (authors) have to apply a lot of pressure (nagging) to get them to implement this change? Maybe it was just a minor oversight on their part?

Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
I just wish that when I install an addon via Minion, it would also automatically install any mandatory libraries as well. Many times have I installed an addon, started the game, tried to use the addon, and get a "so and so library is missing" message.
Yes, this and the occasional RU version update getting auto-installed accidentally was why I started updating them myself. Don't get me wrong, Minion was great when I was a newer player, and still a good place for new players now. I just wanted more control over the whole process. What's perfect for me now is adding an addon to my favorites here on the site, then when they get updated I get an email. I also do this for a couple addons that are outdated *and* unusuable so in case they ever get new life to them I will know to re-install them!