View Single Post
11/26/22, 06:36 PM   #9
ExoY

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
it would be partly possible.
With partly meaning here, the result will probably be not usefull.

You can "draw a circle" on the ground using a normal control.
You then need to adjust the position according to your camera settings so the circle is centered arround the character.

You then need to adjust eccentricity if the circle according to camera settings and camera direction.
This just requieres some medium level math.

The difficult task will be terrain.
What I have described so far would only work if the ground is flat and perfectly aligned with one of the planes of the game's coordinate system. (I think it needs to be the x-z plane but i am not 100% sure out of the top of my head).

If the ground is not parallel to that plane, but with a constant angle in your location, you could implement an algorithm which determines this angle by walking around back and forth, left and right.

Now to why all this wont be really usefull:
* this wont work in any location with constantly changing slopes like cyrodil
* this will give a confusing graphic indication for the range of there are any obsicles or slope changes (like stars)
* it will draw the circle above stuff in the game (including the other character models), making it quite difficult for you brain to interprete distances and stuff.

So in conclusion, from my experience with working with such things in eso so far, you can get a decent estimate of what you want. But how good you can determine (as your brain is just an image interpreting software) if a player is within a certain distance will highly depend on your surroundings.