View Single Post
04/14/15, 03:33 AM   #14
l3x0r
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
The one thing is:
If he took your source code without credit and if this lead to ppl ignoring your addon, or talking bad about it, this is simply unfair and he should excuse himself.

I won't and can't judge this, and I know this is about "he did it or not, no matter why or what benefits or negative stuff resulted because he did it", but in my opinion:
What does it change afterwards? This is a non-commercial game.
There are several addons doing quite the same and noone complained (officialy).
I know it is hard work to code the stuff and it is simply against the rules.
If you can track what damage has been taken and if you know how to fix this, go ahead.

Otherwise I'd say: Move on and have fun (thats the point where I always stick too with the game ). Don't use his addons, put him to ignore lists and do your thing.

Don't get me wrong. I don't say what he did was ok and everyone should do it! (if he copied code without telling ppl where he took it).
But it makes no difference anymore for today, isn't it?
If you want him to remove his addon ppl just will remember you as the guy destroying an addon they liked, instead of the guy that initially coded some stuff the addon used without giving the credits :-(

Ppl use your addon or they don't. It depends on what they prefer and how they play.
You can't force them to use your addon then. You can't blame the people that just want to play and get more comfort. They only download an addon and sometimes some ppl say thank you to the author, most don't say a word, except for when the addon is outdated or it is not working like they think it should. Then they'll jump your face

I'd say you take your steps but keep in mind that ppl will remember you are the guy that overreacts.

@Philgo
If you took the code, no matter how much, and it wasn't yours, be a man and say so and say sorry.
I was about to post almost the same.
Please resolve your issues - This is just a game and we all should have our fun playing it and developing addons/extensions for it.
I know you are far beyond the point to maybe collaborate and create the best Shop/Merchant Addon on the planet - but maybe (and this goes out to all developers) a good step would be to just opensource your addons on github and add a matching OSI approved license, so everyone who knows coding, wants to continue you addon, if at some point, you dont want to play anymore can do so.