View Single Post
10/19/15, 02:52 AM   #4
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I think your stance that the recipient is responsible for handling duplicates might be a huge turnoff for many developers, as this is one of the most difficult problems in here and if everyone has to solve this problem for themselves, you will also get a lot of duplicate solutions.

Rounding the timestamp to 10 is a bad idea, because you will a) loose precision and b) the timestamp varies by a few seconds between session. In the past I also started writing something similar to get store data out of the game and entries that had a stamp that ended on a 5 in one session had one ending on 4 or 6 in another which would then round differently.
I had an idea of using the order of the entries to identify duplicates, but never implemented it.
Search for the entry by timestamp and then see if the previous and next entries have the correct item ids. If there is one wrong, it would be a duplicate.

There is also the problem that you will have to handle manipulated uploads in some way. When you allow anyone to upload data, anyone can manipulate your data freely in any way they want by sending in fabricated entries.

Developers can connect to the relay and receive data in real time as the users change zone
I am not quite sure how you manage to get data on zone changes? The saved vars are only written out when you reload ui, logout or quit to desktop.
Getting data into the game is even harder and in my experience most ESO players won't use any data source outside of the game while playing. That's why I gave up my own project which did exactly what yours is doing and started making AwesomeGuildStore instead.