View Single Post
03/22/14, 04:28 PM   #1
DuchessOfKvetch
Roleplay overhead tag idea

There's certainly been a lot of chatter on rp forums for a mod in the style of WoW's MyRolePlay (similar mods exist for a few other MMOs as well).

The problem to me seems to be the requirement of such a mod to share data between other mod users, as opposed to simply changing the UI on the client side. Data would have to be added to the shared stream somehow, without a place for players to store arbitrary text on the game server. As I recall, the authors of the WoW mods did some really funky stuff with hidden chat channels that were posted to regularly in a zone, and then parsed into local variables for display when a player using the mod came into view.

Thus I didn't believe such a thing would work for ESO. But someone in my guild noticed a particular field that potentially could be used to store such metadata: the "Notes" field in the character roster for guilds. Any number of different pieces of info could be stored in this field, and potentially redisplayed. There are even a few API calls to retrieve this data, though it seems it currently is not done in bulk, which may be an issue.

And of course, you'd have to know the guild name. But one of the things we're trying is to use "umbrella" guild collectives anyway - ostensibly to assist with phasing, since there's been indications that guilds members are supposed to phase together. SO even if this code only works within a guild, it could still be useful since the utility\umbrella guilds are still used by rpers in a transparent manner (people join them and then don't use guild chat, to maintain immersion).

GetGuildMemberInfo(integer guildId, luaindex memberIndex)
Returns: string name, string note, luaindex rankIndex, integer playerStatus, integer secsSinceLogoff
GetGuildMemberCharacterInfo(integer guildId, luaindex memberIndex)
Returns: bool hasCharacter, string characterName, string zoneName, integer classType, integer alliance, integer level, integer veteranRank

I don't know yet if anyone has had any luck with adding contextual info overhead, or if ZOS is hiding that info by design. If it can be worked around, this might be a useful field for all kinds of metadata, perhaps.

Last edited by DuchessOfKvetch : 03/22/14 at 04:31 PM.