View Single Post
12/09/18, 04:32 PM   #11
Drakanwulf

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thanks for filling in the reasons and giving me answers to the questions I have had. The information you chose to share should be put into a "'ESO .lua for Dummies" book because it is that good.

Nevertheless, I am going to test one of your answers because I think ESO does not work that way. I will be very happy when I find out that you were correct and that I was wrong... again...

Embedded addons don't do that. They are simply not loaded by the game when they are outdated and a newer version is present anywhere in the addon folder. Only the old LibStub based libraries worked that way since LibStub cannot know beforehand which version will be the highest and has to execute every version it comes across. That's why we want to get rid of LibStub, but that has nothing to do with this topic.
Because these two add-ons are both Stand-Alone add-ons and because neither use LibStub, per se, (LibMaps does use LibStub:GetLibrary to load LibGPS2) I am going to embed a LoadAddon folder within a copy of a LoadAddon folder and also embed a LibMaps folder within a copy of a LibMaps folder just to see what happens. I expect ESO to pass them on for loading which will invoke the .lua table creation time-wasting penalties you mentioned but I will be so very happy to have absolutely nothing happen when these deliberately botched up folders are loaded only one time.