Thread: Location Search
View Single Post
06/08/20, 05:22 AM   #1
AphexTwin
Question Location Search

Hi all,

I often find myself in the situation that I have to find a certain location in Tamriel (on the map) but have no idea where it is exactly.

Example: I see on the TTC website that an item is offered at a merchant: "Alik'r Desert: Morwha's Bounty" or "Malabal Tor: Baandari Tradepost".
I then spend some time trying to find the appropriate place on the map, especially if it is not the main city of the zone.

This also happens when I want to travel manually to group dungeons. What zone was City of Ashes in again? Where is Vaults of Madness?

Also popular:
- Where is the Mundus Stone "X"?
- Where is the crafting station for the set "X"?

So:

is there an addon (which I didn't find in the Addon-DB and in the forum) which does the following:

- Adds a search box to the map (M)
- Lets you search for locations or the location of various things globally
----- Cities
----- Settlements
----- Caves, Ruins and Mines
----- Dungeons (puplic and group)
----- Trials
----- Mundus Stones
----- Group Bosses & Dolmens
----- Craftable sets
----- NPCs
----- PoI's
----- and essentially everything else that is available in location-based information
- Option to exclude zones / subzones from the search (exclude cyrodiil, exclude findings in dungeons e.g NPCs)
- Search results display the zone, subzones (city, house, Outlaw Refuge, dungeon etc.)
- Click on the search results to jump directly to the corresponding location on the map
- Possibility to automatically set a waypoint at the corresponding location
- Possibility to jump directly to the next way shrine near the location
- Bookmark locations

I noticed "Arch's Enhanced Map" does at least have a search for crafted sets, which is nice but only a small part of which I need.

Maybe someone knows if such an addon exists.

If they do not exist, I would be grateful for the following rough estimate:

- General feasibility of the addon: feasible or not?
- Effort estimated:
--- What percentage of the data can be dynamically retrieved via the Game API,
--- how many from other libraries (e.g. crafting stations)
--- what percentage of the data must be statically stored in own libraries
- General effort for search function, UI, additional functions

Maybe some of you as veteran addon programmers can answer this quickly and either motivate me to develop such an addon myself or to reject the idea.

Thanks anyway!

AphexTwin