View Single Post
04/02/14, 02:49 PM   #30
Vuelhering
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Lynce View Post
Hello all, I work with a (not the) hosting company myself and deal with abuse reports.
Also, their site does not contain advertising of any kind. I fully respect the authors, but the site is only reuploading the addons as they are, giving full credit to the authors and not making a dime from it in the process.

*EDIT: Just as someone mentioned, the addons do not seem to have any copyright on them in general. ARR is really not valid here, as it is applied to works of art (paintings, sculptures and etc) and also can only be applied if the person is reselling the work of art and making €1,000+ for it.
Cairenn is correct. All Berne signatory countries recognize programs as a creative work, and it is copyrighted as soon as it's in a fixed medium. Copying is at the discretion of the author.

The only exceptions in the USA are for Fair Use, which would clearly not extend to making available. If the object uses a FOSS license such as GPL, rehosting is allowed, but note that this is still a license, not giving up the copyright. While making money off the works is a consideration of intent, there is no cutoff on sale value where a creative work loses its copyright.

Thanks for checking in on this, though. As the person who handles abuse, it would behoove you to become more familiar with copyright law.

Last edited by Vuelhering : 04/02/14 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added quote