View Single Post
02/14/19, 03:20 PM   #1
Klingo
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Reusing ESO localization, but to what extend?

Hi

In the past I had every single word that was used in the addon put in my own translation files. While replacing them with the official ones from ESO itself (with: GetString(...)), I started to wonder to what extend this makes sense and when it is more wise to have custom translations for it.

Here are some examples with increasing uncertainty:

1) List professions, respectively re-use the different tabs from the Craft Bag. Getting the name from Filter Types seems still safe.
Lua Code:
  1. -- SI_ITEMFILTERTYPE17 = "Enchanting"
  2. GetString(SI_ITEMFILTERTYPE17)
  3. -- SI_ITEMFILTERTYPE18 = "Provisioning"
  4. GetString(SI_ITEMFILTERTYPE18)
  5. -- SI_ITEMFILTERTYPE19 = "Style Materials"
  6. GetString(SI_ITEMFILTERTYPE19)

2) Group the different glyphs under one common name. Reading the text from a gamepad category might already be more vague whether this value is always there?
Lua Code:
  1. -- SI_GAMEPADITEMCATEGORY13 = "Glyphs"
  2. GetString(SI_GAMEPADITEMCATEGORY13)

3) Group different "liquids" together under one common name. Here a text that would fit that such a group can be found from a customer service feedback category.
Lua Code:
  1. -- SI_CUSTOMERSERVICESUBMITFEEDBACKSUBCATEGORIES402 = "Potions & Poisons"
  2. GetString(SI_CUSTOMERSERVICESUBMITFEEDBACKSUBCATEGORIES402)

4) Group the different repair kits under one common name. Reading a hook point and cut off the colon at the end, because there is no native string for "Repair Kit(s)".
Lua Code:
  1. -- SI_HOOK_POINT_STORE_REPAIR_KIT_HEADER = "Repair Kits:"
  2. string.sub(GetString(SI_HOOK_POINT_STORE_REPAIR_KIT_HEADER),0,-2) -- "Repair Kit"

While the first two examples seem quite safe to me, I am not so sure with the third (and especially the fourth) one how reliable this really is. What would other developers recommend? Re-Use as much as possible from ESO to reduce custom localizations, or only take it from ESO when there is a 100% match?

Cheers
Klingo

PS: I took this as the base for finding keys: https://github.com/esoui/esoui/blob/...tedstrings.lua

Last edited by Dolby : 02/14/19 at 06:17 PM. Reason: fixing post cache