View Single Post
07/04/21, 09:20 AM   #7
Sharlikran

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I have to ask if you could find me someone with the issue that speaks English and has enough computer skills to manually install mods.

It also might be a good idea to have someone in the US with their OS set to English and someone in Korea with their OS set to Korean. Because if the OS is in English but their Keyboard text is Korean that may be different then someone with a Korean keyboard and a Korean OS.

To be honest I don't know which combination alters the code page for the OS though. Is it per the keyboard setting, or the OS. I don't really know.

I notice that the current software is attempting to convert text output to the chat window. I presume it is for some kind of font related issue. However, no other unofficial translation converts anything.

In fact Bevisbear who heads up the Chinese development for ESO doesn't convert any text either. Chinese simplified is code page 936. Korean is code page 949.

Sirinsidiator
Lua itself simply uses single byte strings and the game interprets them as utf8 strings. I also vaguely remember someone mentioning in the past that the encoding of the high ascii characters depends on the encoding specified by the OS, but I don't know what the context for that was.
I am not certain why the previous authors felt there needed to be any conversion. I can't really just blindly test that and do anything to solve it because for now the first question I have is why is there a conversion at all. It's not being done for Chinese why does it need to be done for Korean. They both require special fonts and have code pages other then 1252.

Last edited by Sharlikran : 07/04/21 at 09:26 AM.