Thread: Location Search
View Single Post
06/08/20, 09:06 AM   #5
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by AphexTwin View Post
Building the DB should not be that difficult, as far as I could find out through my research, especially for simple things like general locations.

For a simple addon you can basically just make the maps and zone constants searchable, the same ones that are used in your (Baertram) LibSets library.
https://wiki.esoui.com/Zones
Building the DB is the most difficult part of it all. Just iterating over maps and zones won't give you the necessary data to actually show them.

This should also be possible for other data from other AddOn, especially if they create/use Map Pins and also LibGPS.
That's what I meant you should try to avoid doing (unless it's a library like LibSets). You should only rely on data which is provided via an interface as you never know when an addon changes its internals and breaks whatever you are doing to get data from it.
And in case you think about copying the necessary data into your own addon you should also ask the author's permission first. But even then you would still have to keep up with new data being added which can turn into quite a lot of work.

So this should be transferable to other things as well and for the beginning it should work without or with very few static (own) data.

Or have I understood something wrong?
If it was me making this, I'd go only for things that are really easy to do (fetch data on the current map, or use data provided by libraries) and provide an api so other addons can extend the available data.