View Single Post
06/28/19, 05:04 PM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The problem with the packaged libraries within an addon, including the whole library folder and txt manifest files, is:

Putting the library folders in a subfolder of the addon but using their own txt files
-The txt files will only be read from the addon manager until a folder depth of 2 or 3 (not sure anymore) subfolders.
-You have a copy of the libraries AGAIN inside the addon subfolders and need to update this subfolder each time the library updates (same problem as with /libs/libraryname/libraryfile.lua reference in the addon manifest txt from 2014)
+ no possibilities to "only update the library" via Minion, and much effort to update it manually
-Not easy to find the loaded library in case of errors as every addon and subfolder could contain the library again. This was one of the reasons why I'm using the libraries in the main AddOns folder now e.g.!

Libraries packaged with the addon but installed to main AddOns folder
-If you do not have it inside the addon subfolder itsself but in the main folder of the addon (as own "library folder"), it should work but it might not update properly via Minion because of multiple found txt files and folders.
-every addon updated will overwrite the folder again. If only one got a "bad or old version" the folder might be broken and thus several addons will

Benefit of the manually / Minion standalone installations of libraries - IMO
-You have only 1 source where the error could be and thus it's easy to support and fix it
-Less disk space needed
-Update via Minion is easy after it has been installed once
-Manual update is easy as wella s you only need to update 1 folder and are able to overwrite all contents (the AddOnVersion tag in updated libraries assure that only the newest version will be read from this AddOns/libraryName folder then)
So I don't get why you say we ignore the AddOnVersion here @merlight?

I guess it's up to the authors how they solve this. But including the libs again into the addons got more disadvantages (afai understood the whole complex system) than keeping them seperated in their own folder.