View Single Post
02/06/15, 03:28 AM   #33
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I was thinking about the following when I was mentioning two levels of customization:

The downloadable packages are things that change the style of the LibAddonMenu window without changing the layout.
For example removing the border, replacing the background, changing the used font and such things.
Maybe even change the size of buttons, but only inside certain restraints from the basic layout which is not supposed to change.

And the addon dev side customizations will allow to change the style and layout inside a panel in any way they want, but nothing outside of that.
e.g. align all buttons however they want, add an image to the background (only inside the panel)
They should not be able to influence the settings dialogs of other addon authors or the addon list in any way

I haven't looked into the technical details and limitations yet.

Categories are certainly hard to define in this case. I think if we where to use types, one addon would only be allowed to specify a single one from a predefined list.
Separating them by first letter or pages also sounds good. Maybe add all of these and allow the user to switch between them?

Settings would be things like which theme is in use, what is the current view mode of the addon list and other things that will probably come up over time.

I am also thinking about putting LibAddonMenu on github, so everybody can send me pull requests. This would make it a lot easier to integrate all the different ideas that you already seem to have started to implement. What are your thoughts?

Also one last note, I don't thing it is a good idea to change too many things at once when there are so many addons depending on LibAddonMenu.
We should take small steps and only put up one change at a time to see how it works with other addons.
For the launch of 1.6 we should only make the necessary changes to make it work and from there only add one new feature every one or two weeks.