View Single Post
09/14/15, 08:52 PM   #19
Spudd
Originally Posted by ZOS_ChipHilseberg View Post
We tried installing 10 of the most popular addons internally on a live build including minimap and only saw a 1-2 FPS difference between having them all on and all off.
Sorry to pipe in on this, but I wanted to share my recent findings. Hopefully its helpful.

I don't think the issue is with most of the AddOns at the start, but they become the issue as their SavedVariable .lua file sizes grow.

Recently in a desperate attempt to improve game performance (after lots of LUA memory tweaks) I wiped my MasterMerchant saved variables (multiple < 6MB files totaling 75mb) along with my Thurisaz GuildInfo Saved variable (9mb). After doing that my performance was pretty much completely back to normal. No hitches, no lag, no fps crashes, nothing.

However, as MM has begun loading more data (just 12MB so far), I'm already starting to notice the first hints of performance degradation. Nothing major yet, but just a little bit more every hour or so as the files build. I have no doubt that once I reach about 25-30mb it will probably start being a significant issue again.

Just installing and running an add on (or group of them) probably won't reveal a lot of issues. You need to build a large history up and see how things behave. It sounds like you are already looking at improvements in how the lua files are handled, so that's good news. Just make sure your testing involves the more significant directory sizes that are probably pretty common out there.

My uninformed opinion says that something must have fundamentally changed in how .lua files are read and processed by the client or in how memory is allocated by the client for these operations. My guess is that it's not just the size of the .lua files, but how often they are accessed that contributes to the problem. Either way, its how the client is handling these files and how the memory is being used for those operations that needs to be addressed first.

Thanks, and I hope you are able to find the problem. Even if you can't completely fix it, if new parameters (maybe no files larger than 2mb) can be communicated to the addon devs, that might be helpful for everyone...at least in the short term.